March 18, 2008, the Redmond company has made Vista SP1 available via Windows Update and the Microsoft download center. The reason for the postponing of the general availability was faulty driver integration. Together with opening up Vista SP1 RTM for download to the general public, Microsoft has also come up with a list of the device drives that weren't playing well with the service pack.
"I've received a lot of requests for more detail about the driver situation this last month, so I want to share some more information. We spent the last couple of months looking closely at reports of driver problems on pre-release builds and, to be safe, we held the public availability until March," revealed Nick White, Windows Vista Product Manager.
The vast majority of the driver problems have been fixed, as Vista SP1 was moving from Release Candidate stage to RTM. But at the same time, there are drivers that will prevent users of the Vista operating system from deploying SP1. White stated that Microsoft was working with hardware manufacturers in order to make available functional drivers for the remaining devices. Windows Update will not offer SP1 to the users whose systems contain components with the problematic drivers.
"We identified a small number of device drivers that may be problematic after an update from Windows Vista to Windows Vista SP1. As a result, we spent the past month or so working with our partners on driver updates for these issues. Of these drivers, most already have updated versions on Windows Update and are available for download now as optional updates. In a few weeks, we'll start to deliver these updated drivers to PCs automatically via Windows Update," White added.
Updating the drivers to the correct versions that gully support, Vista SP1 is the only way to access the service pack via WU. "Windows Update will recognize PCs with drivers that may be problematic and postpone offering SP1 to those PCs until it has installed corrected drivers or other applicable updates. Either way, Windows Update works to detect whether or not your system is ready for SP1 and not offer it to you until the time is right. Those of you who find that SP1 isn't offered over Windows Update even after updating all your drivers, but would still like to download it can access our 'standalone installer' from the Microsoft Download Center," White said.
Here’is the list integrated in full:
• For x86-based computers: Alcxwdm.sys - version 18.104.22.16842 or earlier
• For x64-based computers: Alcwdm64.sys - version 22.214.171.12442 or earlier
• For x86-based computers: Sthda.sys - version 5.10.5762.0 or earlier
• For x64-based computers: Sthda64.sys - version 5.10.5762.0 or earlier
• For x86-based computers: Stwrt.sys - version 6.10.5511.0 or earlier
• For x64-based computers: Stwrt64.sys - version 6.10.5511.0 or earlier
• For x86-based and x64-based computers: Ctaud2k.sys - version 126.96.36.1992 or earlier
• For x86-based computers: P17.sys – all versions (This was originally a Windows XP-based driver.)
Conexant HD Audio
• For x86-based computers: Chdart.sys - version 188.8.131.52 or earlier
• For x64-based computers: Chdart64.sys - version 184.108.40.206 or earlier
Biometric (Fingerprint) Sensors
• AuthenTec Fingerprint Sensor with the Atswpdrv.sys driver file – version 220.127.116.11 or earlier
• UPEK Fingerprint Sensor with the Tcusb.sys driver file – version 18.104.22.168 or earlier
• For x86-based computers: Igdkmd32.sys – versions between and including driver 22.214.171.1242 and 126.96.36.1993
• For x64-based computers: Igdkmd64.sys – versions between and including driver 188.8.131.522 and 184.108.40.2063
• Texas Instruments Smart Card Controller with the GTIPCI21.sys driver file – version 220.127.116.11 or earlier
• Sierra Wireless AirCard 580 with the Watcher.exe application – version 18.104.22.168 or earlier (This application is located in the AirCard 580 Program Files folder.)
Symantec software driver for Symantec Endpoint Protection and for Symantec Network Access Control clients
• For x86-based computers: Wgx.sys – versions 11.0.1000.1091 or earlier
• For x64-based computers: Wgx64.sys – versions 11.0.1000.1091 or earlier
Windows Vista, Vista SP1, RTM, Drivers, Software Drivers