There are two ways to install drivers, through the Vista Print Management Console or by opening a path to the Print Server Properties (\\Servername\Printers). In either instance, File and Printer Sharing must be enabled and the appropriate ports have to be opened on the Vista Firewall.
To load Vista x86 drivers on a Windows Server 2003 x86 print server, the steps must be performed from the Windows Vista machine by connecting to the Windows Server 2003 print server.
- Open the Print Management Console from Windows Vista SP1. Click the Vista button and type Print Management. Add the Windows Server 2003 Print server by Right Clicking Print Servers - Add/Remove Servers....
- Add the Windows Server 2003 Print Server
- Right Click Drivers then Add Print Driver, click Next
- Choose Processor Type, which in this case is x86 then click Next
- This will pull up the drivers on the Windows Vista machine (not the Windows Server 2003 Print Server)
- Choose the Microsoft Vista Inbox driver to install on the Windows Server 2003 Print Server
- Click Finish and this will copy the drivers to the Windows Server 2003 Print Server. Notice the driver version is 6.0.6000.xxxx which is how we know this is a Windows Vista / Windows Server 2008 Inbox driver.