Microsoft Norge posted a Windows Phone 8 Live Tiles TV advert -- "the film was shot downtown Oslo (Norway) to highlight one of the key innovations of Windows 8: Live Tiles. Showing the preview functionality of Live Tiles made for an evening to remember," read the video description.
.NET for Windows Phone 8 comes with "major updates to the .NET Framework runtime and code generation process that have resulted in startup time improvements as high as 50%," Microsoft stated.
Also included in the Framework is the "new async programming model from .NET Framework 4.5 and the world-class garbage collector in the CoreCLR for better app responsiveness."
"Both Windows Phone 8 and CoreCLR take advantage of multiple cores and use modern software technologies and patterns. Users always appreciate any way that we can improve battery life. Our new approach to code generation removes a whole category of battery use for Windows Phone apps. Together, the new Windows Phone OS core and CoreCLR deliver lean and parallel experiences to end-users," explains Microsoft.
This release, also updated the Windows Phone OS and app platform to take advantage of multicore processing and to improve battery life. "Most new devices are now multicore and come with the expectation that the OS and the apps will be faster because of that technology," Microsoft added.
OData Client Tools for Windows Phone 8 brings OData V3 support to the Windows Phone platform.
"This release enables you to consume OData V3 services in your Windows Phone application. More specifically, this exciting release extends the Add Service Reference experience with client-side OData support for developing Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 applications using Windows Phone SDK 8.0," Microsoft stated.
The tooling adds references that are capable of consuming OData services up to v3.
Here is what's in this release:
- "Spatial: You can now take advantage of the spatial support in OData v3 to create location aware OData enabled phone apps
- Actions: You can now invoke actions defined on an OData V3 service.
- Any/All Queries: You can now express queries like "are there any customers which have no orders"
- Vocabularies: You can now consume vocabularies for creating richer experiences on Windows Phone applications
- Properties Defined on Subtypes: You can now have better inheritance support by consuming models which have properties (primitive, complex and navigation) defined on subtypes of the base type associated with the set.
- ODataLib/EdmLib: You can now use these lower level libraries on Windows Phone," Microsoft informs.
You can download the installer for OData Client Tools for Windows Phone 8 from the download center.
Windows 8 and Windows RT Product Guide :"describes the many new and improved features in Windows 8 and Windows RT. Whether you're working or playing, at home, in the office, or on the go, Windows is designed for you."
"The reimagined Start screen brings together your sites, people, and apps that you care about. You can get all kinds of different apps for free or to buy in the Store. With Windows 8 and Windows RT, you can get the protection, speed, and reliability you're used to from Windows and then some," reads the description.
Download the Windows 8 and Windows RT Product Guide here.
Also, check out the new and improved Windows Compatibility Center covering over 115K (at time of writing) in 17 markets Worldwide. You should see improvements in many areas including:
- Improved overall navigation and user experience
- Consolidated experience for data covering Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows 7
- Improved catalogue for search accuracy and relevance
- Enabled search suggestions to help you easily find your products
- Dynamic filters powered by the service - helps narrow down your results set when browsing or searching
- You can view compatibility discussions relevant to the product - enabling help and support from community members
Check out Windows Compatibility Center.
Windows Azure Poster provides an overview of Windows Azure features, services, and common uses.
"Windows Azure is an open and flexible cloud platform that enables you to quickly build, deploy and manage applications across a global networks of Microsoft managed datacenters"
Download the Windows Azure Poster here.
Microsoft just completed the deployment of SQL Data Sync into the East and West US data centers. "For those who intend to have their sync hubs in the East or West US, you can now provision the Sync Server in the respective regions thus allowing better sync performance for the particular sync groups," the company announced.