"Mango" Windows Phone 7 update apparently leaked today and comes with over 100 new features. This leak is apparently from XDA developers fourm who has posted a 404MB file that contains the official RTM build of Mango (build 7720). Users are able to flash to this build directly and do not need to restore from a backup.
Evidently, users are able to flash devices ranging from NoDo, 7661 or build 7712 up to 7720. You do not need to restore from your backup, but instead can update directly.
User cyberdel was one of the first to successfully flash once the file was uploaded:
"install on htc trophy is finished:
at first i see on the bootscreen there is no mark anymore like "Not for resale" an Version is.... tada.... 7.10.7720.68
i am very happy now, good night"
HTC 7 Trophy
Here're the original instructions:
My edit of the instruction file:
Caution: Do this at your own risk, no one is to blame if your update fails
-Phone with Nodo (7392), Mango 7661 (Beta) or Mango 7712 (Developer Beta)
-PC with at least 20 GB of free disk space on C:
-external hard drive or USB flash drive with up to 16 GB of free space
-1.5 - 2 hours
1. All contents must be extracted to a local disk, not a backup/external disk.
2. Install the zune beta client version 4.8.2134.0 (comes with the downloaded file)
3. If necessary, run the flashing tool "updatewp" from the folder "update tool" install right version for your system, 32 - or 64-bit
4. Connect Device via USB to the PC
5. Close Zune software, if it opens when connecting
5a. ----If your device is allready using 7661 or 7712, go to Step 16
6. Open the "NoDoToRC" folder and run the file "ISV_Provisioning_Live.exe" with admin rights (right click on the file..)
7. The tool will now create a backup of the phone. This takes quite some time, depending on how much you have installed on your device.
8. The phone will reboot and are starting communication with a "special" update server. If necessary, enter PIN code if activated on your device
9. Please dont close the update tool until it say its finished.
10. In the directory "C: \ Users \ <user> \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ Windows Mobile Update,"there should be the newly created backup folder with a cryptic name. Please feel free to copy the folder to a secure location (external hard disk, etc.) and keep safe!
Repeat to yourself many times: "Yes, I have copied my backup to a secure location"
11. Now start the Zune client (with your phone connected) and it will begin looking for updates.
12. Build 7403 will now be found found and installed.
13. After 7403 has finished updating, the update is moving seamless to 7712 - the public developer beta.
14. If everything is done properly: Congratulations, the phone is in now running build 7712
15. Close/exit Zune.
Now please pay attention:
16. Copy the "RCToRTM" folder to "c: \"
17. In the RCToRTM folder, locate the "ISVTo7720.bat" and run as admin /still right click on file...)
18. Several updates will be installed, and the phone might reboot a few times. If applicable, please enter the PIN code.
19. If everything went smoothly: Congratulations, the phone is now on RTM 7720
20. Show of your RTM to your friends..or w/e 🙂
[Source: XDA forum]