Don't have a TV tuner installed in your computer but still enjoy using Windows Media Center?
If so, there is a simple registry modification that you can make to disable the "TV + Movies" item in Media Center.
- Click on Start, and in the "Start Search" field type "REGEDIT", then press Enter.
- If User Account Control prompts you for consent, provide the appropriate credentials or provide consent.
- In the navigation pane, locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Start Menu.
- In the right hand pane, you will see a "REG_DWORD" value with a name of "HideTV", which has a default value of 0. Double click the "HideTV" DWORD and change its value to 1.
- Close the Windows Registry Editor.
Now launch Windows Media Center, you should no longer see the "TV + Movies" option listed.
NOTE: This does remove the "Play DVD" option as it is listed under "TV + Movies", but fear not -- when you put a DVD into the system while Media Center is running, by default it will automatically begin playing.