Microsoft in a KB article KB2591403 acknowleded that customers have been reporting a range of issues related to Windows Management Intrumentation (WMI), as well as to components related to this particular service. In this matter, the software company has put together a number of hotfixes that the company is recommending customers to install.
“Due to the volume of support incidents handled by Microsoft for issues related to the following hotfixes, these are recommended for installation for the platforms indicated below. These hotfixes are associated with the operation and functionality of the Windows Management Intrumentation (WMI) service and its related components. When experiencing issues related to WMI on a system the symptoms can vary widely depending upon the root cause,” the Redmond company stated.
The following are a few examples of high-level symptoms noted in support incidents that may be resolved with the application of the indicated hotfixes:
- Loss of functionality with enterprise management/monitoring software for various machines. Software examples: Microsoft SCOM/SMS, IBM Tivoli, LANDesk Management, HP OpenView, BMC Patrol, etc.
- Loss of functionality related to Citrix terminal services load-balancing.
- Loss of functionality for WMI-based scripts.
- Slow user logon times on Citrix terminal servers.
- Slow user logon times on Windows clients where WMI-based group policy filters are in-place.
According to Microsoft, there’re additional, more granular problems that customers can encounter. Some IT pros will find for example that they cannot use WBEMTEST in order to connect to root\default, root\cimv2 and/or root\citrix namespaces.
In addition, the OBJECTS.DATA file can cause the repository’s size to explode, while some CITRIX missing/repeating namespaces can go missing.
Hotfix list for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
- 2464876 The WMI repository is corrupted on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista
- 973243 The default gateway is missing on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista after the computer restarts if the default gateway is set by using the Netsh command
Hotfix list for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
- 2465990 “0x80041002 (WBEM_E_NOT_FOUND)” error occurs when you try to open a WMI namespace on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
- 2492536 Msinfo32.exe takes a long time to display or export system information on a computer that has many MSI-X-supported devices and that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
- 982293 The Svchost.exe process that has the WMI service crashes in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7
- 974930 An application or service that queries information about a failover cluster by using the WMI provider may experience low performance or a time-out exception
Hotfix list for Windows Server 2003 SP2
- 2257980 “0x80041002 (WBEM_E_NOT_FOUND)” error code occurs when you try to open a WMI namespace on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003 SP2
Hotfix list for Windows XP
- 933062 A hotfix is available that improves the stability of the Windows Management Instrumentation repository in Windows XP.”