Windows Dev Center Insider program, gets a new customer segmentation and push notification feature for developers that want to better pinpoint specific users.
With this feature, you can quickly create custom notifications to send to your app's customers—"all of them", or to only a "selected segment" that meets the criteria you define, like demographics and purchase status, explains the App team.
Adding it said, "customer segments and notifications can be used to encourage desired actions" like "buying something, or for loyalty and retention campaigns" etc..
This new functionality, once enabled, will categorize app users based on pre-selected criteria that can be customized by the app's developer.
The team goes on explaining, that when defining a customer segment, "first select a specific app, then create AND/OR queries to include or exclude customers based on attributes, with options to refine further."
"You can also select criteria related to first time purchase status, total Store spend, and total spend within the app you've selected," the said.
However, there is a limit, "the segment will only include customers who have acquired your app on Windows 10," and if you support older OS versions, "downloads on those older OS versions will not be included in any segments you create," the stated.
You won't be able to create customer segments that don't meet a minimum size threshold, the team said, adding, "only adult age groups are included in any customer segment," they said.
After you save a segment, "it will become available to use for notifications after 24 hours." Since, the segment results are refreshed daily, "so you may see the total count of customers in a segment change from day to day as customers drop in or out of the segment criteria," team expalined.
Steps to define a segment of your app's customers:
- Click Customer groups from the left navigation pane of your Dev Center dashboard.
- Use a segment template or click Create new group.
- Choose your app and construct your own filter criteria.
- Click Run to apply your filters and see quick results.
- Save your segment for later use.
Here is how to send a custom notification to a segment of your app's customers:
- Register your app to receive notifications.
- From your Dev Center dashboard, select your app.
- Click Services from the left navigation pane.
- Click Push notifications.
- Click New notification to create the notification.
- Define your notification and parameters.
- If you have not already created your segment as described above, click Create new customer group. If you have already created your segment, it will appear in the drop-down list (after 24 hours from the time you created the segment).
- Schedule the time to deliver the notification, and then click Save, the App team explained.
To try it out, firt you'll need to join the Dev Center Insider Program (if you haven't already). Then, watch the overview video to see detailed steps on how to create segments and push notifications.