Dona Sarkar finally this morning released Windows 10 Preview build 14936 PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.
There was also an update to the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), switching to Xenial Ubuntu 16.04 instead of Trusty 14.04.
"This change will apply to Insiders installing new instances (lxrun.exe /install or first run of bash.exe)," stated microsoft, adding, "existing instances with Trusty will not be upgraded automatically." However, users can upgrade their Trusty image to Xenial using the do-release-upgrade command.
Highlights of the new build include some new extensions for Microsoft Edge like:
- Turn Off the Lights, designed for a more comfortable video experience.
- Tampermonkey. a popular userscript manager lets users customize the content of pages across the web.
- Microsoft Personal Shopping Assistant collects your browsed products and lets you get price alerts for saved products and compare products between sellers. You can install this at the links above and try them out on any Anniversary Update build.
Lastly, some authentication changes affecting connectivity to NAS devices and home file servers made through. After updating to latest Insider Preview builds, "you may have noticed shared devices on your home network have disappeared as well as mapped network drives are not available", writes microsoft. To make it work again, just change your network to "private" or "enterprise".
Keep noted, if you have your default storage set to a SD card for apps, "installation of apps like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and WeChat will fail with an error," microsoft said. As a workaround, "set your default location to your device's onboard storage."
Improvements and fixes for PC (verbatim)
- We fixed the issue causing Narrator to continually speak the progress of a song e.g. update with the current time of the progress bar every second if you navigate to the progress bar while a song is playing in Groove Music.
- We fixed the issue where using the tab key to navigate the Settings app wouldn't work.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Explorer.exe frequently crashing for some Insiders, particularly for those with multiple network switches.
Known issues for PC
- Optional components may not work after upgrading to this build. To get it working again, go to "Turn Windows features on or off", scroll down and check the right optional component and click ok. After a reboot, the optional component will be enabled again.
- Tencent apps and games will cause your PC to bugcheck (bluescreen).
- Running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt will fail at 20% with the error "could not perform the requested operation."
Improvements and fixes for Mobile
- We fixed the issue causing the pin pad to not be visible to unlock the phone even after rebooting the phone.
- We fixed the issue where some phones lose the ability to use their SIM cards.
- We fixed the mobile hotspot issue where it works the first time but subsequent attempts to use the feature won't work until the phone is rebooted.
- We fixed an issue causing some devices such as the Lumia 650 from failing to install a new build with Error 0x80188308.
- We fixed the issue causing some build updates to fail with an 800703ed error code.
- We fixed the issue where Action Center no longer closes if you swipe up on the empty space (area of Action Center that doesn't show any notifications).
- We fixed an issue where notifications were unexpectedly showing the app logo within the notification when viewed in Action Center.
- We fixed an issue for devices that shipped with Windows Phone 8.1, such as the Lumia 930 and 1520, where if you plugged in a headset during an ongoing call, the audio would not be routed to the headset, microsoft writes.