WebKit Browsers Closing in on to Pass Mozilla's Firefox

WebKit an Apple developed open-sourced rendering platform is picking up steam -- On laptop and desktop computers, WebKit-powered browsers are closing in on Mozilla's Firefox, reports Net Applications.Net Applications' numbers derived by monitoring more than 40,000 websites in their network. Adding May 2011 web usage share numbers for Safari 7.28% and Chrome 12.52% brings us […]

Share online:

WebKit an Apple developed open-sourced rendering platform is picking up steam -- On laptop and desktop computers, WebKit-powered browsers are closing in on Mozilla's Firefox, reports Net Applications.

Net Applications' numbers derived by monitoring more than 40,000 websites in their network. Adding May 2011 web usage share numbers for Safari 7.28% and Chrome 12.52% brings us to the combined 19.8% market share.

Apple has been slowly but steadily growing its market share from 5.09% in July 2010 to 7.28% in May 2011. Chrome's growth is even steeper, climbing from 7.16% in July 2010 to 12.52% in May 2011.

StatCounter paints a similar picture even though their numbers differ from Net Applications' data.

According to StatCounter, the Chrome browser had global market share of 19.36% in May 2011, a 1.07 percentage point increase from 18.29% that was reported for April. At the same time, Firefox was down 0.38 percentage points to 29.29%. Adding Safari's 5.01% market share -- which has been virtually unchanged since the beginning of this year -- brings the combined Chrome-Safari share to 24.37%. This compares to 29.29% for Mozilla and corroborates relative rankings from Net Applications.

[Source: Net Applications, StatCounter]