Google Maps introduces walking directions for 44 African countries in addition to existing driving directions which is available in many African countries since 2010.
Walking directions are also now available on Google Maps for Mobile. To get walking directions, start by doing one of the following - Note, walking directions are currently in beta, so, Google advises "to use caution, as the routes may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian crossings":
- Click Get directions, enter a starting and ending location and click Get Directions
- In the search field, enter a from-to statement (example: from Nyayo House to Anniversary Towers) and click Search Maps
- Click "Directions" in an info window that pops up for a business or location
- Right-click on the map to get directions to that location
- Click on the "walking" icon at the top.
Walking directions are editable, so if anything is amiss, you can correct it with using the community mapping tool Google Map Maker.
"Google Map Maker is a tool that allows you to add and update geographic information for millions of users to see in Google Maps and Google Earth."