Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 is available for download for MSDN subscribers. Non-MSDN subscribers can get LightSwitch starting Thursday, July 28th, or download a free trial today.
"LightSwitch, the newest member of our Visual Studio product family, is a development tool that enables developers of all skill levels to build line of business applications for the desktop, web, and cloud quickly and easily."
LightSwitch applications can be up and running in minutes with templates and intuitive tools that reduce the complexity building data-driven applications, including tools for UI design and publishing to the desktop or to the cloud with Windows Azure. LightSwitch enables you to focus on your business needs rather than details when building your application.
- Visual Studio LightSwitch is its own edition of Visual Studio and will install stand-alone. However, if you have Visual Studio 2010 Pro or higher already installed, installing LightSwitch will integrate into those versions.
- Visual Studio LightSwitch will not install and run correctly if you have Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Beta installed. If you have any version of Visual Studio on your machine, you must install Visual Studio 2010 SP1 before installing Visual Studio LightSwitch.
- If you have any Beta versions of LightSwitch installed you must un-install those before installing Visual Studio LightSwitch. Projects built with Beta 2 will open, build and run correctly without any modification.
Check out these learning resources, samples and starter kits to kick start your LightSwitch application development.
- Get an Overview of LightSwitch
- Watch the instructional LightSwitch "How Do I?" videos
- Learn how to build LightSwitch Applications
- Download Starter Kits
- Download Code Samples
Please see the installation notes below and the official readme.
[Source: Visual Studio LightSwitch Team Blog]