Windows Live announced that a new version of the Live Connect APIs along with a new version of the Live SDK for Windows Phone is now available.
"The primary change for SkyDrive was providing the ability for applications to fully access, upload and share documents, photos and videos from a user's cloud storage in SkyDrive as well as contacts and calendar for developers to start using it for apps they can now develop for the Windows Store," Dare Obasanjo, lead program manager, Live Connect Platform, notes in a Inside Windows Live blog post.
"With the integration into Windows Phone and Windows 8, SkyDrive is a key part of your "device cloud," letting you work and play easily across your PC and phone," said Obasanjo.
"SkyDrive also works with apps like Microsoft Office and OneNote so you can organize, collaborate and share from anywhere. We believe that the most value for our customers comes when more people and more apps can connect to the cloud from most available devices."
With this API change, any app on any platform now gets to take advantage of the fact that any user with a Windows Live ID, including every Windows 8 user, has free cloud storage in SkyDrive that they can integrate into their experience to access their documents and photos.
Obasanjo also promises that SDK will be updated along with future releases of Windows and will go live when the next version of Windows is finally released.
Omar Shahine, the Group Program Manager from SkyDrive, points to the availability of the Handyscan, a third party app to make use of SkyDrive's new APIs.
"Handyscan is a document scanner and document manager. With this app you can scan anything into your phone and carry it with you, send it by email or save it to the coud. From receipts to contracts; from comics to class lessons, magazines & newspaper articles, old photos, notes, souvenirs, balance statements, contact cards, brochures, signatures, invoices, etc, etc, etc," reads the app description.
Handycam app is available here.
Key features (free version):
- Scan any type of document or object
- Automatic scan trigger eliminates need to press a button, allowing firm pulse for optimal scan
- Independent scanning resolution and flash options
- Automatic optimization of scanned images
- Deep zoom in/out controls for the resulting scan
- Align and crop scanned document
- Perspective and skew correction for the not perfect takes
- Scan multiple pages per document and save as a single file
- Create collage pages with scanned images
- Import & export photos
- Upload scanned documents to the cloud (SkyDrive or Dropbox)
- Backup all your sources to the cloud as well
- Choose size and quality for sending scanned results
- Add text to documents. Can fill in forms without a pen!
- Scan/digitalize signatures
- Electronically sign documents with your scanned signatures
- Realistic scanning visuals
- PDF conversion
- Emailing options
- Restore backups
Also, Brandon pointed to another Windows Phone app apparently using the SkyDrive APIs - "Social Camera Beta."
Social Camera app allows you to upload your OWN videos to Youtube! If you have suggestions, comments, or criticisms, please contact us through the About page of the app.
Here is how the app works?
- Use it as your video camera by tapping the viewfinder or using your camera button to start & stop recording
- Select the video you took, give it a title, description, and some keywords
- Click Upload
- NOTE: Since uploads can be large, they cannot be transferred in the background; you must leave Social Camera running in the foreground (or under lock screen) until all transfers (yup, you can upload more than one at a time!) complete. This is something we hope to address in a future version
- Share with friends via the share method to the social networks on your phone, or by copy/pasting the link in to an e-mail, text message, or messenger chat!
Here are the features of the Social Camera app:
- Upload to Skydrive
- Transfer ANY video in Skydrive Mobile Uploads to Youtube
- Pin Skydrive Transfer to Start
- 6 additional languages supported
- Many performance optimizations
- Share Youtube link via Text Message, E-mail, or connected Social Network accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc)
- Upload to Skydrive
- Transfer Skydrive to Youtube
- NO ADS on viewfinder and saved media
You can download Social Camera app from Marketplace.