Universal Windows Platform (UWP) docs are now on Docs.Microsoft.com, which is the one place for all Microsoft's technical documentation. As part of this release, also docs for the UWP APIs, Microsoft Edge, and Cortana are included as well.
In addition, a new Code Samples page to help find Windows samples on GitHub is launched today.
Benefits for this move for developers include:
- One place for Microsoft's technical docs, offering you a complete and consistent content experience.
- A modern, community-oriented approach that's open to your contributions and feedback, and responsive design that works on your phone, tablet or PC.
- Better content discoverability and navigation.
- Ongoing improvements to the site, new features based on your input and updated content from community contributions. Check out the November 2016 platform update post by Jeff Sandquist to see the latest features on Docs.Microsoft.com.
- Moving to docs will enable us to open source all Windows documentation and enable community contributions.
Microsoft says, they will more documents to Windows docs including docs for hardware developers, desktop developers, and more.
Telerik has released their UI for UWP suite of offerings "Enterprise/LOB controls" as an open source project under Apache license through the .NET foundation.
"This makes 20+ high-quality controls, including premier Line of Business (LOB) controls like Charts, Grid and DataForm available immediately for free and open source for UWP development," writes the team.
With this annoucement, developers can now access and include these controls from Telerik, which are already Visual Studio 2017 RC compatible, in their UWP app by installing the Telerik UI for Universal Windows Platform nuget package.
Other interesting controls that were released include:
- HubTile, and several more.
The package can be install via following two options:
- In Visual Studio, right-click on your UWP project. Select "Manage NuGet Packages." Search for and install "Telerik.UI.for.UniversalWindowsPlatform" package
- Use the Package Manager Console with command : Install-Package Telerik.UI.for.UniversalWindowsPlatform