Twitter has updated its iOS and Android apps with long overdue usability enhancements and new design and functionality improvements including the swipe shortcut.
Twitter for iOS version 4.1, brings back the handy swipe shortcut: Just swipe a tweet in your home timeline to reply to, retweet, favorite or share it, or view the Twitter user's profile, without leaving your timeline.
You can also copy and paste tweets and profiles and press and hold links to get additional options, including opening the link in Safari, tweet, copy or mail that link or read it later.
Twitter for Android update brings new devices support, "Twitter for Android is now optimized to run on Android devices running Ice Cream Sandwich."
As well as on the Kindle Fire and the Barnes & Noble NOOK Color and NOOK Tablet (available February 23 though the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store).
Twitter bring the following features to Android and iOS:
- Swipe shortcut: Swipe a Tweet in your home timeline to reply to, retweet, favorite or share it, or view the Twitter user's profile, without leaving your timeline.
- "Find friends": A new confirmation alert when you select "Find friends". "This notification more clearly and explicitly messages the fact that when you upload your contacts' email addresses and phone numbers, you can quickly find which of your friends are on Twitter (that is, if they've chosen to be discoverable by email or phone number)," informs Twitter.
Here is what is new in Twitter for iOS:
- Copy and paste: We've returned the ability to copy and paste the text of Tweets and user profiles. Just press and hold to copy.
- Link love: The "share" feature used to just give you the option to copy or email a link to a Tweet. Now, if there's a link within a Tweet, you'll see the option to tweet, copy or mail that link, or you can choose to read it later. (Select a "Read Later Service" under Settings > Advanced.)
- Pressing and holding links provides similar options, along with the ability to open the link in Safari.
- Direct messages: We updated the design for Direct Messages and returned the ability to mark all DMs as read. Simply tap the check mark in the lower right corner.
- Font size settings: Change the font size under Settings > Advanced.