With the five-year anniversary of the first tweet approaching. On March 21, 2006, Jack Dorsey (@jack) sent the first Tweet.
In a blog post that details tweet and account activity, Twitter says it's "growing at a record pace." Here are some of the details:
- 3 years, 2 months and 1 day. The time it took from the first Tweet to the billionth Tweet.
- users now send a billion Tweets per week.
- 50 million. The average number of Tweets people sent per day, one year ago.
- last month people sent 140 million average number of Tweets per day.
- 177 million Tweets were sent on March 11, 2011, the day of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
- 456 Tweets per second (TPS) when Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009 (a record at that time).
- 6,939 current TPS record, set 4 seconds after midnight in Japan on New Year's Day.
- 572,000. Number of new accounts created on March 12, 2011.
- 460,000. Average number of new accounts per day over the last month.
- 182%. Increase in number of mobile users over the past year.
- 8. 29. 130. 350. 400. Number of Twitter employees in Jan 2008, Jan 2009, Jan 2010, Jan 2011 and today.