Mozilla at the Mobile World Congress 2013 in Barcelona, said its upcoming mobile operating system Firefox OS, will be supported by 18 mobile operators from around the world including Twitter.
In a brief announcement, Manuel Deschamps of Twitter said that "When those devices begin to ship, Twitter for Firefox OS will be available in the Firefox Marketplace".
"Firefox OS," is a new HTML5-powered mobile OS built on open Web standards, and it takes advantage of the power of the web. Firefox says that allows for faster performance compared to how HTML5 typically works on Android- or iOS-powered devices, where web apps have been often seen as inferior to native apps on those platforms.
Even the phone dialler is built as an HTML5 application.
"Firefox OS brings the freedom and unbounded innovation of the open Web to mobile users everywhere," said Gary Kovacs, CEO, Mozilla, in a statement.
Adding, "Similar to other mobile apps, Twitter for Firefox OS has a rich interface, featuring the Home, Connect, Discover and Me tabs, as well as the search and compose Tweet icons, so you can easily find and send Tweets from anywhere in the app," Deschamps said.
Additionally, Twitter for Firefox OS also has a unique feature called "Web Activities," that lets you tweet photos directly out of any app that also supports web activities such as the built-in photos app.
In addition, Mozilla has also launched the Firefox Marketplace app store.
Update 02/27: Twitter 2.0 for Windows Phone bring in a refreshed design with following updates and features: "the app now lets you compose a Tweet or search from anywhere in the app, using the new icon buttons in the Application Bar."
In addition, Live Tiles lets you Pin Twitter accounts, lists and searches to your start screen, giving you quick access to some of your favorite Twitter content.
- "New navigation adds four new tabs - Home, Connect, Discover and Me - bring you closer to the things you care about.
- On the Home screen you can now view Tweets from the accounts you follow -- just tap a Tweet to expand it and see more content, such as photos, videos and website summaries
- Connect lets you keep up with your mentions; see who has followed you or retweeted or favorited one of your Tweets
- Discover tab lets you see trends, and find new content on Twitter -- browse categories, find friends on Twitter and see suggestions for accounts to follow
- And, finally, Me tab lets you read and respond to your direct messages; see your lists, favorites and more; view and update your profile," informs Twitter.
Get the ne experience at Windows Phone Store.