Today, five years ago, a new social networking web site dubbed "Twttr" was launched, which is now called "Twitter," the 140 character messaging microblogging site is celebrating its 5th anniversary today, with the revelations of few interesting tidbits.
- "On July 15, 2006 only 224 Twitter messages were posted on the site. Twitter says its users "send that many Tweets in less than a tenth of a second."
- It took Twitter 18 months to gain its first 600,000 users. That's the number of new users that Twitter signed up just on Thursday.
- According to ABC News, the very first message on Twitter was made by its co-founder Jack Dorsey (it was simply "Inviting coworkers").
- In January 2009, that number went up to 2 million Tweets a day, and a couple of weeks ago, Twitter revealed on its blog site that it is now generating a 200 million Tweets per day.
- The huge growth of the service has taken over pop culture as tons of celebrities, political figures, pro sports players and more regularity "tweet" on the site.
- ABC News says that the number one most followed person on Twitter is pop singer Lady Gaga with Lady Gaga with 11,644,682 followers
- followed by teen pop star, Justin Bieber, with 11,037,025 followers.
- President Barack Obama comes in third with 9,121,529 followers.
- Pop signer, Britney Spears, is fourth with 8,530,677 followers
- Reality TV show star and socialite Kim Kardashian is fifth with 8,306,783 followers.