This articel talks about an issue where doing a host refresh in the SCVMM 2008 admin console generates error 2912 with 0x800700A4:
Cause: Typically, the "Needs Attention" host status is displayed if the SCVMM server is unable to communicate with the agent on the managed host. However, in this specific example the communication to the host is working normally (RDP and PING works) but the host is unable to perform any actions required to update the VMM server.
Note : This issue is very rare and has only been reported in scenarios with large VM deployments on a managed host.
This problem has been known to occur if the WMI service is non-responsive or backed up on the problem host.
- Open the Services.msc snap in.
- Click on Start followed by Run.
- Type "services.msc" without quotes and press Enter. This'll open the Services snap-in
- Right click on "Windows Management Instrumentation" and select "Restart
Note : The following system components depend upon WMI:
- Hyper-V Image Management Service
- Hyper-V Networking Management Service
- Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management
- Internet Connection Sharing
- Microsoft iSCSI Software Target
- SMS Agent Host
- SMS Task Sequence Agent
- Virtual Machine Manager Agent
- Right click on the "Virtual Machine Manager Agent" and select "Restart"
Note: If VMM is in the process of refreshing this host while the WMI service is restarting, it may result in following error:
VMM is unable to complete the request. The connection to the agent %server_name%.contoso.com was lost.
(Unknown error (0x80338126))
Ensure that the WS-Management service and the agent are installed and running and that a firewall isn't blocking HTTP traffic. If the error persists, reboot %server_name%.contoso.com and then try the operation again.
- In the VMM administrators console, select the Hosts tab in the lower left hand corner and right click on the problem host and select "Refresh"