This is a definitive guide to the top 8 plug-ins available for Internet Explorer 7. These must have add-ons will
enable you to enhance and personalize Internet Explorer 7 and get the best experience possible out of
Microsoft's browser. These top eight add-ons have been “hand picked” by Microsoft out of in excess of 400 entries submitted to a Microsoft contest for developers announced in the wake of IE7's shipping.
Between November 1, 2006 and February 9, 2007, the IE7 add-on contest has been opened for all. The entries submitted were either completely new add-ons or evolved versions of existing plug-ins. The finalists of the contest have been selected by members of the Internet Explorer product team. After installing and reviewing the add-ons, the Internet Explorer product team picked 8 winners.
1. Inline Search by Core Services (Grand Prize winner – a trip for two to MIX07 ) - Inline Search is an add-on for Internet Explorer that mimics Firefox's search behavior, it turns searching into a Web page into a non modal research experience coupled with a search as you type facility.
2. ieSpell by Red Egg Software (First Prize - $2000 Cash ) - IESpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell-checks text-input boxes on a Web page. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of Web-based text entry (Web mail, forums, blogs, diaries).
3. FoxyTunes by FoxyTunes (Second Prize - $1000 Cash) - FoxyTunes lets you control almost any media player and find lyrics, covers, videos, bios and more with a click right from your browser. iTunes, Winamp, Windows Media Player and other players are supported.
4. RoboForm by SiberSystems (Third Prize - $500 Cash ) - RoboForm makes logging into Web sites and filling forms faster, easier, and more secure. RoboForm memorizes each user name and password the first time you log into a site, then automatically supplies them when you return. All your passwords are encrypted on your computer with military-level encryption using your Master Password.
5. GooglePreview by Edward Ackroyd - An Internet Explorer (IE) toolbar that inserts preview images (thumbnails) of Web sites and Amazon products into the Google and Yahoo search results pages.
6. IE Screenshot Pro by BrowserTweaks - Save an entire Web page as an image file in one click (it scrolls around the page taking shots and stitches them together), in the most popular formats.
7. IEWatch by IEWatch Software - IEWatch is a plug-in for Microsoft Internet Explorer that allows you to view and analyze HTTP/HTTPS headers, Cookies, GET queries and POST data. IEWatch shows you unencrypted data sent over HTTPS/SSL connections.
8. PicGrabber by FreePicGrabber - Search on any word or phrase, and FreePicGrabber scours the Web for you, finding images, videos, clip art, and stock photos from around the world. Just pick the files you want by their small (thumbnail) view, and the full files are downloaded onto your hard drive.