“Terminal Services Application Compatibility” tool on connect is located in the “Connections Directory” at the top of the page.
Application Compatibility is the term given to the collection of issues which prevent an application from executing satisfactorily in a given environment. In this specific instance, the environment is the Windows Terminal Services (TS) Platform. TS is deployed for a variety of reasons such as reducing total cost of operation (TCO), better security & compliance, enabling mobility, etc.
Following are the different types of Problems faced by client applications on a TS environment:
- It is observed that client applications are generally written for a single user. TS server being a multiuser system, may cause synchronization problems.
- Some of the applications are written with the assumption that the binaries are running with administrator privileges. On TS, a normal user is rarely given administrative privileges.
- Behaviour of some of the APIs is different in TS server environment than a client OS environment, this may cause the program to get unexpected results from some of the OS calls.
TS Application Analyzer
TS Application Analyzer is a runtime program analysis tool to enable administrators/users to determine if they can deploy an application on TS with a degree of confidence. It provides a summary of TS incompatible behavior of an application and provides recommendation indicating the confidence level for deploying the application on TS. The classes of App Compat issues that are being targeted for detection are:
- Shared resources – Files/registries
- Access/Privilege issues
- Windows API calls with special cases for TS