A video highlighting a new feature called "Just Enough Administration" from the Hybrid Cloud Platform product Windows Server, explains why it's not good to leave all of your keys on one ring.
For those now aware about Just Enough Administration (JEA), is a new Privilege Identity controls in Windows Server 2016, that uses PowerShell to provide role-based administration to IT personnel—thus limiting the potential damage that can be done by malicious insiders or criminals who have hacked a trusted admin's credentials. That way, "IT personnel have only the job specific keys, without assigning them full admin access."
Here's how JEA limits risk as it uses a layer of "least privilege."
- Users can perform only those tasks for which they are authorized as part of their role by using Windows PowerShell constrained runspaces.
- Users can perform required tasks without being given administrator rights on the server.
- The tasks that users are allowed to perform, and their server access, are defined and managed from a central configuration server by using Windows PowerShell Desired State Configuration (DSC).
- Constant logging details who has accessed the environment and what's been changed, writes server team.
Take a look at the JEA functioning in this video:[embedhttps://youtu.be/xnBrbkY9P20?list=PL8nfc9haGeb7C9h0mejs_4-OeNeT-y7Ct[/embed]
Aside, .NET Core Tools Updates in Visual Studio 2017 RC, released on Tuesday, brings following improvements:
- Templates — dotnet new has been updated and now is based on a new templating engine.
- The location of the .NET Standard class library template, in Visual Studio, has been moved to the new .NET Standard node, based on feedback.
- Quality — ~50 fixes have been made across tools such as .NET CLI, NuGet, MSBuild and also in Visual Studio to improve product reliability.
The .NET Core SDK can also be installed for use with Visual Studio Code or at the command line, on Windows, Mac and Linux, writes the team. In upcoming releases, the team said, some great new features that make you more productive at the command line will be introducing.