Swype is a keyboard system for touch mobile devices that enables users to type faster in some instances because it doesn't require as much "tapping".
Because, Apple has shown a little interest in putting Swype on iOS devices however. That's where the jailbreaking community comes in. Andrew Liu, developer of the "DreamBoard" theming hack for jailbroken devices is working on porting Swype to iOS.
Early this morning, Andrew released the first build of his Swype project, following up a few hours later by uploading it to a public Cydia repository.
There are a few catches:
- As you may have guessed from all this talk of Cydia (and the fact that it involves modifying the iPhone's keyboard), your device will need to be jailbroken.
- A number of behaviors that Android Swypers will have grown accustomed to (such as the blue line that is drawn from letter to letter as you trace) aren't implemented yet. This is the first release, and is pretty barebones.
- The hacked keyboard currently only functions in Apple's pre-installed applications and a very small handful of third party apps. Liu says he's working on a fix for this.
- It's a bit buggy, as is to be expected from a first release
If you are the adventurous type:
- Head over to jailbreakme.com. Jailbreak yourself
- Add this repository: "http:// wynd.x10.mx" Viva!
- Download from mediafire: Swype Beta (v0.1.0)