Windows Server 2008 provides a new servicing model that allows you to integrate update patches and drivers directly into the Install.wim so they can be installed as part of the primary installation routine. Install.wim actually contains six installation images: Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter using Full Install, and Standard, Enterprise, and Data Center using Server Core Install.
The steps required to create a new Windows Server 2008 ISO that can be used to install either a Hyper-V host or a Windows Server 2008 virtual machine are as follows:
- Install the WAIK on your machine.
- Extract an RTM Windows Server 2008 DVD to a subdirectory.
- Copy the Install.wim from the subdirectory.
- Mount the Install.wim with imagex.
- Integrate the Hyper-V RTM update with pkgmgr.
- Create a new ISO.