Windows Insiders in the Fast ring and for those who opted in to Skip Ahead, received a new Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17017 for PC with new Cortana Collections and simplified actions between Cortana and Action Center among others.
Because, the company has begun development for RS4, going forward, Insiders in the Fast ring as well as Skip Ahead will receive new builds for RS4 from the RS_PRERELEASE branch, says Dona Sarkar.
With Cortana Collections, you will save time, as it will now gather and put things into neatly organized lists from which you can pick the ones you like best — all at your fingertips, such as items you shop for, restaurants, recipes, books, movies and TV shows you want to watch.
As, Cortana always in learning mode, the more it's used, the more Cortana will does for you.
Microsoft is also simplifying actions between Cortana and Action Center, with that the proactive content will now migrate to Action Center, so users can find out all actions to take next and important insights. Over time, you will see the proactive content that used to be available in Cortana show up in Action Center.
This change will free up the Cortana's interface for tips, educating customers, and to provide tools for search.
Watch this video to see new Cortana Collections:
Another change involving new Startup Settings for managing apps that run at startup. As of now, these apps configured to run at startup or user log-in, is currently configured in the Startup tab in Task Manager, but, now you can configure them in new Startup page under Settings -> Apps.
The new configuration page will show all startup tasks installed for the current user, and let you enable/disable each of them.
Also, you can now see the impact they have on your startup time, see the example picture below:
For more info, see this full changelog:
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue a small percent of Insiders were experiencing where uninstalled apps might unexpectedly reinstall after a reboot.
- We fixed an issue where wallpaper changes might not roam to devices on the Windows 10 Creators Update with "Sync your settings" enabled.
- We fixed an issue from the previous flight where Storage Settings would crash on launch.
- We fixed an issue where changing time zones would result in the lock screen clock being incorrect until logging out and back in.
- We fixed an issue where the Action Center wouldn't scroll with touch if you started the scrolling motion on top of a notification.
- If a notification doesn't support being dismissed into the Action Center, the toast will now show an X instead of an arrow.
- We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard might unexpectedly auto launch after a system restart on non-touch PCs if you'd used the touch keyboard prior to restarting.
- We've updated the language settings icon in the input flyout to be consistent with that used in the touch keyboard.
- We fixed an issue where the "2" character wasn't rendering correctly in some apps when using the Courier New font.
- We fixed an issue where duplicate icons might be displayed in the Volume Mixer when playing certain games or online videos.
- We fixed an issue causing reduced performance in some DirectX 9 games running at high framerates. If you're a fan of gaming, please take a moment to try playing your favorite games on this build and share feedback.
- We fixed an issue where certain graphics drivers might result in night light displaying with unexpected colors when enabled in recent builds.
- Going forward from this build, the settings to disable hibernate and Fast Startup will be preserved across upgrade.
- We fixed an issue some Insiders were experiencing where after upgrading to recent flights their optical drive wouldn't be listed under This PC.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some Insiders seeing 0x80070005 when trying to upgrade to the last few flights.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights where you might see code 0x80070002 when trying to update apps from the Store.
- We fixed an issue where Hyper-V couldn't create a VM on 3rd party network storage.
- We fixed an issue where for the first few minutes after clean installing a non-English build many inbox app names might unexpectedly appear with English app names.
- We fixed an issue where gaming apps using WebView with heavy use of HTML canvas might have unexpectedly had very low FPS in recent flights.
- If you are missing some Feature-on-Demand (FOD) packages such as Windows Media Player, please see this Feedback Hub post: https://aka.ms/Rsrjqn.
- Using a swipe gesture with touch to dismiss notifications from the Action Center is currently not working. We're investigating – for now you'll need to use the clear all button, or use mouse/keyboard.
- If you RDP into a PC running this build with certain GPU configurations, when you go to sign in to the PC locally it might appear stuck at a black screen with only the cursor available. If you let it sit for a bit, the PC will eventually recover and you'll be able to use it normally.