Simple Spam Filter uses three methods to check the incoming comments for spam and rejects those that fit this criteria. A comment will be outright rejected if it matches any of the following patterns:
- Contains 5 or more links to external sites
- Contains [url=http://www.example.com]example[/url] style links (my blog does not support bbcode style links)
- Contains a word that matches a short list of common spam words (for example, viagra or cialis). See the plugin’s source for the full list.
- Filters out the most obvious comment spam (about 90% of all spam), which allows you to more easily manage your spam queue.
- Real comments that get blocked can still be posted with an additional second step, through a special form that contains a unique time-based token.
- Helps you identify potential spam words (you can use this to tweak the plugin).
- Lightens the load on your server (just a tiny bit), by immediately bouncing rejected spam.
Simple Spam Filter Plugin, WordPress, Plugins, WordPress Plugin