Administration of software packages on the Mac platform can often be daunting. Google's Mac Operations and Security teams build "Simian" solution to enterprise-class Mac OS X package deployment.
"Simian uses App Engine-based hosting to scale with the needs of your growing enterprise, and a Munki-based client which will continue to evolve through the outstanding work of Greg Neagle and the Munki community."
Google has announced of open sourcing the Simian to share its unique IT approach with the larger community.
Here're some example features of Simian:
- Deploy new or updated software by targeting a single Mac or tens of thousands.
- Push security patches, whether the Mac is on an internal network/VPN or not.
- Force mandatory installation of some packages, while allowing others to be optional.
- Tightly manage Apple-provided updates.
- Scale without deploying and maintaining additional server infrastructure.
- Obtain reports on all of this and the fleet overall.