At the O'Reilly Velocity conference, Facebook's Tom Cook presented a slide that puts Facebook's rapid user growth into perspective. Data Center Knowledge performed some easy deduction to conclude that top peak represents 60,000 servers. The plateau towards the end of 2009 represents 30,000 servers -- so they've installed 30,000 servers in just last six months, or 166 servers per day. Here're some numbers from Data Center Knowledge article:
- Facebook, with 60,000 servers
- Google 450,000 servers in 2006
- Microsoft was running about 218,000 servers in mid-2008. company's new Chicago container farm will hold up to 300,000 servers, so the count will change rapidly when that facility is deployed.
- Intel 100,000 servers (company, Feb. 2010)
- GoDaddy, Rackspace, The Planet, 1&1 Internet, all with 50,000 or more servers.