Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (MSDaRT) helps you easily recover PCs that have become unusable, rapidly diagnose probable causes of issues, and quickly repair unbootable or locked-out systems. When necessary, they can also quickly restore critical lost files.
System Restore rollback using ERD Commander
- Using another a working computer, download and install MSDaRT, create a Boot CD for ERD Commander.
- Open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset, right-click the file erd50.iso and click Copy image to CD and burn Boot CD.
- Go to non-working computer, boot with the ERD Commander Boot CD. You may have to set the boot order in the BIOS first.
- From the ERD Commander menu (Start menu) that is displayed, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.
- Click Next when you see the Welcome to the ERD System Restore Wizard screen
- Select Roll back to an existing restore point created by Windows. ERD System Restore Wizard only performs a partial rollback.
- Select the date, and pick a Restore Point from the list.
- Click Yes to perform System Restore rollback.
- To view the change log (optional), click the View Details button. This opens a log file using Notepad, which contains the list of changes made to the registry and the file system. To close the dialog, click Finish. The system will restart to complete the System Restore rollback operation.