Notification emails are a great way to keep up with what's happening in the Google+ stream: Starting today, you can now reply to Google+ notifications right from the Gmail. With this, Google+ notification emails in Gmail brings the following interactivity:
- You can view, comment on, and +1 posts from inside your inbox
- Your comments appear in the Google+ stream in real-time, and
- Responses from others instantly appear in Gmail, as part of the notification message
You can also reply to notifications from your mobile device (and/or POP or IMAP client).
"Just open the notification email about the post you're interested in, and look for the new prompt, "Reply to this email." Tap reply, send your comment, and we'll automatically add it to the ongoing Google+ conversation. Even if you don't use Gmail, you can still reply-by-email from many different services," explains Gmail team.
Google says it will be rolling these features over the next week to users who've upgraded to Google+. In the meantime, you can adjust which Google+ notification emails you want to receive via your Google+ settings.
From left to right: Google+ notification on the phone; replying via email; updated post in the stream:
Also, the following features for domains -- Google Apps, Google Apps for Business, Government and Education are intended for release to these domains on or around May 15th.
"The rollout will start on 5/14 and take 1-2 weeks. Once Drive is fully rolled out to a domain, new users in the domain will be Drive users. Even once a user has opted into Drive, they can revert to the Docs look via a setting in the Drive user-interface (although they will remain on drive.google.com)," Google said.
Domains can disable both the Drive for Mac/Windows and use of the SDK via the Drive / Docs settings page settings in the Google Apps control panel. Note this is not a forced migration, simply an opportunity for schedule track users to try the product.
- Sites: Keyboard shortcuts in Sites editor
- Docs: New version of Google Documents rolling out on May 16th
- Drive: On 5/14 we will start the rollout of the "opt-in" phase of Google Drive to scheduled track domains. The "opt-in" phase consists of the following:
- Users can visit drive.google.com where they can opt-in to Drive.
- As part of opting in, they will be shown an interstitial which includes this video.
- If an opted in user visits docs.google.com, the user will be redirected to drive.google.com.
- The "Documents" navigation item will change to "Drive."
The Search API, now available as an experimental feature on Google App Engine, allows you to take advantage of parts of Google's infrastructure to add full text search to your application.
"This release includes a host of features including searching specific fields and ranges as well as more advanced features like scoring and snippeting. Whether you want to index products and search price ranges or just match keywords over articles and comments, the Search API is ready for you to test drive," posted Google App Engine Full Text Search Team.
Google has also extended a limited free quota for testing during the experimental period.