By default Windows XP shows an arrow icon on each shortcut to indicate that it’s a pointer to another file/folder. You can change or remove the shortcut arrow using one of the two following methods:
Method 1: Setting Shell Icons value
This tweak removes shortcut arrow:
- Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
- Navigate to following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Shell Icons
- Backup key by exporting it to a file
- In right-pane, create a new String value named 29
- Double-click 29 and set its Value data as: C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,50 (shell32.dll,50 is a empty icon)
- Close Registry Editor.
To apply changes instantly, follow this:
- Right-click Desktop, choose Properties
- Click Appearance Tab.
- Click Advanced button
- Choose Icon from drop-down list
- Set it’s size to 31 and press OK, OK.
The changes’ll be applied now. Repeat above steps and then set Icon size back to 32 (defaults). Above steps’re required to force Windows to redraw icons.
Method 2: Using Tweak UI
Using TweakUI to change shortcut arrow icon is more safer. It offers another special icon Light Arrow (icon within TweakUI.exe). This gives user an extra option to set shortcut arrows to Light Arrow style, without completely removing arrow.
More info: Download