Quickoffice Technology and Google been working to make it easier to convert and edit legacy Microsoft Office files to Google documents -- today, anounced new document conversion and an iPad app.
Google Docs always had the option to convert documents from popular formats into the Docs, where you can share and work together in real-time. Now, with Quickoffice conversion tech incorporated into this process to make it easier to convert Word, Excel and Powerpoint files to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides, respectively.
The Quickoffice team also making it easier to make quick edits to Word, Excel and Powerpoint files without conversion--with launching the free Quickoffice iPad app, "that let you open and edit any Office files you've stored in Google Drive right from your iPad."
In the screenshot below: Left: Old conversion of Excel to Google Sheets - Right: Improved conversion after integrating Quickoffice technology
The free iPad app is available to all Google Apps for Business customers. And, "the iPhone and Android versions are on the way," the team said.
"This version is designed for Google Apps users and is integrated with Google Drive for instant access to all your Office files stored in Google Drive. Just open on your iPad, edit, and save back to Drive to be able to access them from anywhere," reads the app descrption.
With Quickoffice for your iPad you can:
- Create, View & Edit '97 - '10 Word documents (.doc & .docx)
- Create, View & Edit '97 - '10 Excel spreadsheets (.xls & .xlsx)
- Create, View & Edit '97 - '10 PowerPoint presentations (.ppt & .pptx)
- Track Changes, Add Comments, & Spell Check in documents (.doc & .docx)
- Edit - Use the Multi-Edit Toolbox to change text, paragraphs, backgrounds, and cell arrangements across entire documents or spreadsheets.
- Navigate - Both horizontally & vertically through your folders & files, and review file information within a single-screen viewer.
- Organize - Manage your files with simple touch, tap, and drag controls in the File Manager. Scroll in any direction and drag and drop to move, copy, and delete files in Drive or on your iPad.
- Scroll - View thumbnails and jump to any page in any document with a single-touch.
You can download the Quickoffice iPad app on iTunes App Store.
In other Google Apps releated news, Google Apps administrators now have the ability to enforce SSL connections on the Contacts APIs through a setting in the control panel. This setting provides added security against session hijacking and user impersonation.
Note that "this setting will be OFF by default because some widely used legacy contacts applications do not support SSL. Early next year, we will set the Enforce SSL option to ON for all new domains and all existing domains where we do not detect a contacts API request from one of these legacy applications within the previous week," informs Google.
It affects these APIs:
- Contacts API
- Domain Shared Contacts API
- Google Apps Profiles API