Google Analytics may be free, but it is still based on proprietary technology - which means you only ever get reports on the things that Google thinks are necessary and some of those reports are aimed at people using Google's other services (managing campaigns on AdWords, for example). Further, using Google Analytics means that you're tied to Google's TOS.
Piwik, is an open source (GPL license) web analytics software, which aims to be an open source alternative to Google Analytics. It is closely affiliated with OpenX, the open source ad server alternative to Google Ad Manager.
- the features are built inside plugins: you can add new features and remove the ones you don’t need. If you are a developer, you can easily build your own plugins!
- you own your data. Piwik being installed on your server, the data is stored in your own database and you can get all the statistics using open APIs (publishing the data in many formats: xml, json, php, csv)
- (NOW AVAILABLE!!!) the user interface is fully customizable, you can drag and drop the widgets you want to display, create the reports you want
- you can try the online demo that shows you the latest piwik release. Please note that all User Interface part is still in progress so don’t expect something big on this.
- to install Piwik, download the latest release, upload it on your webserver (you need at least PHP 5.1 and a Mysql database), and open your browser: the installation process is automatic and takes less than 5 minutes.
Embed your stats in your website!
You can very easily embed your graphs in your blog or website or dashboard:
- Last 30 days visits
- Browsers families - bar chart
- Countries - pie chart
Web Analytics, Google Analytics, Piwik, Open-Source, Open Source, Software