PHP 5.4 available in Windows Azure web sites -- with this, now in addition to a custom installation of PHP runtime in Web Sites, customers can have PHP 5.4 available with the click of a button.
And, you can customize the runtime (add/enable extensions, modify configuration settings). Of course, "you can always revert back to PHP 5.3. And, you can still customize the built-in PHP runtime, or you can provide your own customized PHP runtime," Microsoft stated.
Here is how to configure PHP in Windows Azure Web Sites:
- Create a website. Any of the following articles will walk you through how to do this.
- How to Create and Deploy a Website
- Create a PHP-MySQL website and deploy using Git
- Create and deploy a PHP-MySQL website using WebMatrix
- How to configure PHP in Windows Azure Web Sites
If you browse to a script that calls phpinfo(), you should see this:
How to Switch between apps in Windows 8 - "Sometimes you want to return to an app you were just using or quickly switch through your recent apps."
Here's how to switch apps:
- With touch, swipe in from the left edge.
- With a mouse, move your pointer into the upper-left corner, and then click the corner.
- If you want to switch to a different app you were using recently, here's how:
- With touch, swipe in from the left edge without lifting your finger, and then push the app back toward the left edge. You'll see the apps you've used recently, plus Start. Tap the one you want.
- With a mouse, move your pointer into the upper-left corner and then move it down the left edge. You'll see the apps you've used recently, plus Start. Click the one you want.
Learn more Windows 8 here.
Microsoft also posted a new Office 365 Accessibility Fact Sheet, that details on Office 365 Accessibility offerings.
Microsoft Office 365 is an online subscription service that provides email, shared calendars, the ability to create and edit documents online, instant messaging, web conferencing, a public website for your organization, and internal team sites. Office 365 combines Office services including:
- "Ability to access and edit Office files online with Office Web Apps
- Instant messaging, calls, and meetings with Lync Online
- Team document sharing and websites with SharePoint Online
- Email and calendaring with Exchange Online."
With the new Windows Phone 8 devices from HTC and Nokia now available to purchase, users have started complaining about the new Microsoft Windows Phone mobile operating system, according to Microsoft support message "HTC Windows Phone 8X users claim the device randomly reboots."
Another users on the Microsoft forums stated, "It was fine for the first week, but is now rebooting several times a day. Every time so far (that I've noticed) has been when it's been sitting on my desk doing nothing."
Nokia's official support forums also seen complaints from Lumia 920 users reporting "similar rebooting issues as well as random freezes and some battery issues." Nokia's support forum thread on the Lumia 920 freezing now runs to four pages.
Several owners reporting having fewer problems after uninstalling the Facebook app -- but others say the reboots seem entirely random. Other users various blame the HTC hub, and an NFC tap-to-share feature.
The Verge reports that Lumia 920 owners might get better battery life by disabling its NFC features.
So far, Microsoft, Nokia and HTC have yet to comment on what might be causing these glitches.
Also, Microsoft's users of Windows 8, who have applied, company's November 13, update KB2770917, facing installation fails at 15 percent, according to Microsoft Answers thread, "user having "problem when trying to install the latest rounds of Windows 8 updates. All updates install successfully except KB2770917, which fails at 15% into the Configuring Windows Update," a user posted on the forum.
Though, Microsoft hasn't yet offered any solution, a user suggested:
"Type in msconfig.exe and hit enter, go to the Services tab on the top, check the box on the bottom that says hide all Microsoft services, click 'Disable all,' restart the computer and install update. After installation follow the same instructions but click enable all instead of disable all and restart again and everything should be good. Hopefully it works for others," the users wrote.
We've already told you about a Windows 8 Update error that blocks the installation of an official Microsoft patch, but while this issue is expected to be fixed anytime soon, users claim they're disappointed with the entire operating system.
In the meantime, however, the thread has now turned in to a "Microsoft vs. Apple" post Microsoft has to face a new wave of criticism, as Windows 8 adopters point out that Apple's devices are much more advanced.
"It would appear that Windows 8 is suffering like Vista did," a user posted on the thread. Another user posted, "Maybe I should just uninstall Windows 8 and go get a Mac."
Finally, in another shock to company, Yahoo! is reported having "Search Partnership" discussions with the Facebook, according to a report, "Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer and Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg are discussing a potential partnership."
A Yahoo spokesperson declined to comment on the report. Meanwhile, AllThingsD's Kara Swisher writes that her sources "scoffed about such a deal."