Over the last couple of months the SQL engineering team has been busy preparing SQL Server Code Name "Denali" CTP3. The video below gives you a quick overview of what has been added in "Denali:"
In the area of providing a rich experience over unstructured data, the SQL team added:
- Lots of performance and scale work in Full-Text Search!
- Customizable NEAR in FTS
- The ability to search only within document properties instead of the full document
- Semantic Similarity Search between documents. This provides you the ability to answer questions such as: "Find documents that talk about the same thing as this other document!"
- Better scalability and performance for FileStream data, including the ability to store the data in multiple containers
- Full Win 32 application compatibility for unstructured data stored in a new table called FILETABLE. You create a Filetable and can drag and drop your documents into the database and run your favorite Windows applications on them (e.g., Office, Windows Explorer).
In the spatial area the team added a lot of additional items including:
- Circular arc support
- GEOMETRY and GEOGRAPHY method parity
- FullGlobe support for GEOGRAPHY
- Spatial aggregation
- Performance improvements
- Better predictable default index
- Index support for nearest neighbor queries
- View more detailed list
In the video below, you can learn improvements/enhancements on SQL Server non-relational features from Michael Rys, Principal Program Manager from SQL Server Engine team.
SQL Server Non Relational:
For more information on "Denali" visit this link.
[Via:SQL Server Team blog]