Facebook now allow you mention friends in your messages in Open Graph apps. This, means, you can now mention friends in your foursquare check-in, and automatically tag them on Facebook and Twitter too!
"When people mention a friend in an Open Graph app, the story on Facebook links the person's name to their timeline, and their friend will receive a notification. The story will also be added to the friend's timeline or, if enabled, to timeline review," Facebook explained.
"While we won't check your friends in (that's up to them!), we'll tag them on Facebook or @mention them on Twitter (as long as they've linked their accounts to foursquare)," 4sq stated.
"Just like action tagging, mention tagging sends a notification to all tagged users and the story is added to their Timeline (or to their approval queue, if they have this option enabled in the privacy settings)." However, stories with mention and action tags appear differently on Facebook. "Mention tagging creates a link in the user message, whereas action-tagging adds friends' names to the story text," Facebook explains.
To decide which type of tagging to use, follow these rules:
- "Action tags should be used when you are performing the action with the tagged user, e.g. "Jessica ran a marathon - with John Doe."
- Mention tags should be used to mention other users or send them shout out, e.g. "You should run with me, lazy John Doe!""
Developers "may not prefill mentions in user messages. Any message that contains a mention needs to be composed by the user and explicitly meant to be shared on Facebook. For mention tagging to work in your app, you will need to resubmit your actions and request approval for both "user messages" and "tags," Facebook stated.
To implement mention tagging on Facebook, "you'll need to provide users with a tokenizer or some other way to know that they can reference their friends. "To mention a user in a user message, place this string inline with the message: @[userID] or @[profileUrl]. This creates an inline hyperlink to the profile of the mentioned friends and sends them a notification that they have been tagged," explains Facebook.
Here is how to do it on Foursquare:
- "On the check-in screen, start typing your foursquare friend's name
- Tap their picture when it pops up
- To share on Facebook or Twitter, tap the icons at the bottom of the screen so they light up," 4sq writes.
- That's it!
For more on adding mention tagging on Facebook, check this help documentation.
Also, Facebook rolled out updates to the App Dashboard, that make it faster to integrate with Facebook. Here's what's new:
"App Details replaces the App Center section, giving you one place to update promotional details (ex: promotion text, images, descriptions, icons and contact info) used in App Center and your Auth Dialog. You can also submit your app to the App Center and check review status in this section," Facebook said.
Also, updated Settings for easier navigation and configuration of app:
- "Canvas settings are consolidated in Basic Settings
- Auth Dialog is now Permissions, which lets you configure permission settings for App Center and Auth referrals
- Android integration fields are easier to use
- Contact info is consolidated in App Details."