Google updated the Beta channel to 17.0.963.44 (Platform versions: 1412.142) for Chromebooks (Samsung Series 5 , and Cr-48) that in addition to a number of stability and UI issues fixes also introduces:
- Enables recurring billing as the default for pre-paid monthly plans
- Greatly simplifies the Verizon activation and top-up process
- Allows purchase of additional data prior to current bundle expiration
- Eliminates credit card requirement for free 100MB plan
Also, at the FETC, Google revealed that as of today hundreds of schools in 41 states across the U.S. are using one or more classroom sets of Chromebooks.
As a highlight, three new school districts in Iowa, Illinois and South Carolina are going 1-to-1 – that is, one Chromebook each for nearly 27,000 students.
- Council Bluffs Community School District in Iowa is planning a Chromebook 1:1 Initiative for all 2,800 students in their two high schools and will use an additional 1500 Chomebooks in their two middle schools
- Leyden Community High School District in Illinois will roll out devices to 3,500 students in their two high schools
- Richland School District Two in South Carolina is going 1-to-1 with a total of 19,000 students