Office 365 Home Premium has hit a milestone, "passing 1 million subscribers in just over 100 days."
"What's truly exciting is how people are using the service and their newfound flexibility to do great things," Office marketing exec John Case writes.
That's a quicker climb to the million mark than some of the most popular services out there, as you can see in this infographic. But the numbers only tell part of the story, pointing as an example to a post by Suzanne Emberton, a Tennessee mother of six who calls Office 365 "an amazing tool for our family."
Microsoft also released today results from Facebook Safer Online poll identified five mobile pet peeves that both men and women find most annoying:
- Constant phone-checking (44 percent)
- Loud talkers (41 percent)
- Using or not silencing phones when socially appropriate (40 percent)
- Using one's phone during face-to-face conversation (39 percent), and
- Delaying traffic due to mobile-phone use (35 percent)
Check the full Microsoft Safer Online Facebook poll study here.
Another, Microsoft study revealing that 52 percent of organizations turning to cloud computing for business growth, strategy.
"To the cloud!" A new study shows that more and more organizations are turning to cloud computing as a way to grow their business - and a way to refine their business strategy.
"The next two years will be the era of hybrid cloud, with 68 percent of customers planning to adopt hybrid cloud models -- up from 49 percent today," said Marco Limena, vice president, Hosting Service Providers Business, Microsoft.
In addition, the survey found "that as customers begin to move their IT environments into the cloud, software is sticky and brand is even more important."
Also, released today, is the Kerberos Configuration Manager for SQL Server (KerberosConfigMgr)
"This diagnostic tool can help to troubleshoot Kerberos-related configuration issues with SQL Server, which is very exciting for us because Kerberos authentication plays a critical role in many BI-related authentication and delegation scenarios, such as to enable multi-tier BI solutions to access external data sources securely on behalf of the user. To enable end-to-end delegation all the way from the client through the middle-tier components to the external data sources, a Service Principal Name (SPN) must be registered within Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) for each SharePoint service account, and then Kerberos Constrained Delegation (KCD) must be configured, which can be quite challenging in enterprise environments with complex AD topologies," Microsoft explains.
You can download at Microsoft Download Center.
Microsoft.Net.Http RTM as a stable NuGet package released today, across a wider array of platforms, including Windows Phone 7.5 and higher, .NET Framework 4.0 and higher, and Windows Store.
This enables you to share more .NET code across these platforms.
This package also addresses one of the top User Voice requests for .NET: providing an HttpClient implementation for Portable Class Libraries (and therefore also on Windows Phone 8).
Microsoft also shipped Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server 2012.2 (Update 3).
This Release Candidate 2 (RC2) can be download over here.
Finally, today also saw the release of the Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3 (KB 2803727).
This update contains a number of customer reported and internally found issues. In particular we would like to specifically call out the following fixes which are included in this release:
- "2561346 Mailbox storage limit error when a delegate uses the manager's mailbox to send an email message in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2756460 You cannot open a mailbox that is located in a different site by using Outlook Anywhere in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2802569 Mailbox synchronization fails on an Exchange ActiveSync device in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2814847 Rapid growth in transaction logs, CPU use, and memory consumption in Exchange Server 2010 when a user syncs a mailbox by using an iOS 6.1 or 6.1.1-based device
- 2822208 Unable to soft delete some messages after installing Exchange 2010 SP2 RU6 or SP3
- For DST Changes: http://www.microsoft.com/time," informs Exchange team.
Update Rollup 1 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3 can be downloaded over at Download Center.
Update 05:31: Microsoft announced the Beta 1 of Entity Framework 6 (EF6) that comes with key features and tooling including:
- "Custom Migrations Operations were enabled by a contribution from iceclow and this blog post provides an example of using this new feature.
- Pluggable Pluralization & Singularization Service was contributed by UnaiZorrilla.
- Significantly improved warm up time (view generation) - especially for large models - via a contribution from AlirezaHaghshenas."
Visti this Get It page, that has all the information on installing the prerelease and current runtime packages in Visual Studio 2012.
Microsoft Open Technologies's "Cinder" an open source programming library for creative coding in C++, is now available to a broader audience on the Windows Store for developers of all kinds to build a new generation of Windows 8 apps with Cinder.
"The Windows 8 operating system introduces a new type of application, called a Windows Store app. The new architecture is called Windows Runtime, or WinRT for short. Windows Store apps are presented and can be accessed through their respective Live Tiles. An application's Live Tile is registered automatically when that app is installed from the Windows Store."
For those not already familiar with it, "Cinder is a cross platform framework designed for professional-quality creative coding in C++ and is typically used for design engineering."
The Cinder coders is now available on a public branch on GitHub.