On Monday September 26, at Ignite Office 365 announced intelligent cloud services to help make employees more productive and organizations more secure.
Tap in Word and Outlook—Powered by Microsoft Graph, Tap surfaces documents, presentations and spreadsheets frequently used by you or coworkers. To use this featue, simply click to incorporate desired elements from files, seamlessly integrating individual components such as "slides, images, tables, graphics and charts."
Tap is available today in Word and Outlook on Windows desktops, for Office 365 Enterprise E3 and E5 subscribers in First Release for Current Channel. Microsoft notes, Tap will be added to more apps, like PowerPoint, in the future.
QuickStarter in PowerPoint and Sway—Powered by the Bing Knowledge Graph, it provides carefully curated outlines for any topic, including recommendations on information to include, categories to consider and associated images tagged with Creative Commons licenses.
Education customers using Sway have a slightly modified version to meet the needs of educators. And, QuickStarter in PowerPoint on Windows desktops is coming by the end of 2016, for Office 365 subscribers.
Designer support for text is now available in PowerPoint on Windows desktops, for Office 365 subscribers in the Office Insider program. And, now recommend professional design options for bulleted process lists.
Designer support for text in PowerPoint on Mac is coming soon, for Office 365 subscribers.
Turn data into Maps in Excel—Powered by Bing Maps, Maps in Excel enable everyday users to create geographic data visualizations that previously required the help of technical experts or expensive external products.
This feature on Windows desktops, Windows Mobile and Android will be available by end of 2016, for Office 365 subscribers.
Available today, as the evolution of personal analytics in Office 365 with Microsoft MyAnalytics, formerly known as Delve Analytics.
Microsoft MyAnalytics provides insights to help you understand how you spend your time at work, across meetings, email, time you designate as "focus time" and after-hours work.
MyAnalytics will allow you to stay up-to-date with important contacts, share key metrics with a coach and help you prioritize the time you spend with different groups. In addition, you can gain visibility into who you collaborate with most.
In the future, MyAnalytics will deliver insights to teams and Office 365 Groups to help them establish better ways of working together, uncover hidden inefficiencies and align on priorities.
Enhancements to security and compliance for Office 365 enterprise subscribers: All following three will be included at no additional cost in the Office 365 Enterprise E5 plan and the new Secure Productive Enterprise E5 offering.
"Advanced Threat Protection" (ATP) features help keep employees secure without impacting productivity. URL Detonation analyzes suspicious links in a virtual environment, while Dynamic Delivery scans attachments for malware without delaying email delivery.
several enhancements including:
- New reports will be in preview later this year. Security admins will have a new reporting dashboard to see details of malware that Office 365 ATP is analyzing.
- Dynamic delivery rolling out now offer better performance and lower latency for emails with attachments. Users will see a placeholder while attachments are scanned in a sandbox environment. If deemed safe, attachments are re-inserted into the email.
- URL detonation will be in preview later this year offer deeper protection against malicious URLs. "Not only do we check a list of malicious URLs when a user clicks on a link, but Office 365 will also perform real-time behavioral malware analysis in a sandbox environment to identify malicious links."
- Intelligence sharing with Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection—Security admins will be able to see malware activity and relationships across Windows 10 and Office 365. Integration with Windows will be in preview in early 2017.
- Broader protection—Advanced Threat Protection will extend to include protection for SharePoint Online, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneDrive for Business. These extended capabilities will be in preview in early 2017.
ATP will be coming to SharePoint Online and the Office desktop apps as well.
"Threat Intelligence", helps you proactively uncover and protect against advanced threats in Office 365.
With Threat Intelligence, "you can monitor and protect against risks before they hit your organization." Security admins will see a "dashboard with rich insights to do deep investigation of malware" and "will be able to integrate data with existing security management tools."
And, "Advanced Data Governance", helps you achieve organizational compliance by leveraging machine assisted insights to help you find, classify, set policies on and take action on the data that is most important to your organization.
The intelligence behind Advanced Data Governance assists you with data management.
Advanced Data Governance will include the following capabilities:
- Import—Intelligently import only the data you need from on-premises and third-party archives using classifications such as age, data type, user or groups, sensitivity or importance.
- Policy recommendations are provided, based on machine assisted insights of your data, classifications, tenant, organization, industry, geography and more. Recommendations may include delete, move, encrypt or share.
- Retention—Intelligently preserve only what's important to you by using classifications such as keywords, age, data type, user or group, sensitivity, importance. Integration with line-of-business systems allows you to trigger retention based upon events, such as creation of a human resources record.
Advanced Security Management that give organizations visibility and control over security in Office 365 will be getting a new feature called "Productivity App Discovery", which help IT pros and security operations teams understand their organization's usage of Office 365 and other productivity cloud services.
This will help them to better determine the extent to which shadow IT is occurring in their organization.
In October, microsoft said, they'll release another feature called "App Permissions", which will assist in monitoring applications that users are connecting to Office 365.
ATP will start to roll out by the end of 2016, while Threat Intelligence and enhanced Advanced Data Governance will be available in first quarter of 2017.
Outlook for iOS and Andorid for Office 365 commercial customers is now powered by Microsoft Cloud. "This means Outlook now supports Exchange Online mailboxes natively, such that no mailbox data is cached outside of Office 365," office team writes.
More importantly, Outlook is the only email app especially designed to support the full Office 365 experience, providing your teams with a coherent experience from desktop to mobile. authentication, to name just a few.
A reduced load for your IT Help Desk—Getting all your teams on Outlook means that your IT Help Desk only has to support and manage one mobile email solution moving forward.
Also, Outlook provides end-user in-app support for basic tasks from Microsoft trained agents, so you don't have to do it.
Office 365 and Outlook include built-in controls for core security needs—including enforcing PIN lock, multi-factor authentication and the ability to remotely wipe lost or stolen devices. Outlook also is tightly integrated with the advanced capabilities of Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) to make sure that your team's data is safe.
A few capabilities of EMS include:
- Selective wipe—Remove Office 365 email data when needed while leaving any personal data intact. This is an increasingly important requirement as more businesses adopt a "bring your own device" (BYOD) approach to phones and tablets.
- App restriction policies—Restrict actions such as cut, copy, paste and "save as" between Intune-managed apps and personal apps on a device to reduce the risk of corporate data loss. App restriction policies are available for use on both mobile device management (MDM) enrolled devices and on unmanaged devices, through Intune's MAM without enrollment capabilities.
- Conditional access—Ensure that Office 365 email can only be accessed on phones and tablets that meet secure access policies set by IT. These can include the requirement for device or app management or Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) for certain user scenarios. And with the newly released Azure Identity Protection capabilities of EMS, you can ensure these conditional access policies grant or deny access based on risks associated with each unique identity.
Several new collaboration related features including:
- "OneDrive sync" capabilities for SharePoint sites and shared folders help you stay connected with richer people experiences like those in Outlook that let you "go beyond a coworker's contact details."
- "Team News" helps in keeping your team informed, and you can "more seamlessly manage business processes with deeper integration of Power BI, Yammer, Microsoft Flow and PowerApps."
- Also, "SharePoint team sites' are coming to every Office 365 Group, including modernized lists, document libraries and pages.
Additionally, SharePoint mobile apps for Android and Windows put your intranet in your pocket. Here are some of the highlights:
- A significant update to the OneDrive browser experience, so that you can find, access, share and collaborate on all your files in Office 365.
- OneDrive sync preview for SharePoint Online document libraries and folders shared with you.
- Team news to keep your team up to date and informed of what matters.
- People cards in SharePoint and OneDrive for Business that intelligently surface content and details from your colleagues' profiles.
- New integration with Microsoft Flow, PowerApps and Yammer.
- Preview of the SharePoint mobile apps for Windows 10 Mobile and Android.
- Enhancements for developers including new sites and lists APIs in Microsoft Graph.
- New security controls including site classification and conditional access based on location and device.
- Feature Pack 1 for SharePoint Server 2016.
- Expanded FastTrack services and tools to support hybrid configurations and migration.
For detailed overview of these innovative experiences and capabilities, visit this link.
Watch the Future of SharePoint in the video below:
Yammer integration with Office 365 Groups adding a SharePoint team site and document library, OneNote, Planner and Outlook group calendar (coming soon) to every group in Yammer.
With this integration, "Yammer users can easily turn ideas into action with access to SharePoint sites and document repositories, a shared OneNote notebook, and lightweight task management with Planner."
Customers who enforce Office 365 identity will receive the new integrated experience first. These new experiences and more will be rolling out in phases over the coming months.
Updates to Skype for Business—It's easier than ever to move all your communications to Skype for Business. In addition, next generation of "Skype Room Systems" is also available, as is an expanded set of markets for PSTN services.
"Skype Room Systems (formerly Project Rigel) bring the Skype for Business meeting experience, with rich HD audio and video, to every meeting room." Additionally, 'your team can work like you're all in one place, quickly and easily join meetings, make phone calls, and instantly share content in the room and remotely—all from an elegant touch screen console device."
Also, "Logitech SmartDock for Skype Room System" bundles are available to reserve today, and will start shipping in a few weeks.
Additionally, you can now reserve Crestron's Skype Room Systems, "shipping at the end of this year," and the "Polycom MSR Series for Skype Room Systems, which will start shipping early first quarter of 2017."
In preview Polycom RealConnect Service for Office365, hosted on Azure, enables non-native video teleconference (VTC) systems from Cisco and others to join a Skype for Business meeting.
Skype for Business for Mac will be generally available in October, and is written from the ground up using the modern Mac programming language, Swift.
Microsoft will be rolling out enhancements to the "Skype for Business" experience on iPhone staring in October. Using the Apple CallKit framework, "Skype for Business calls now work just like a cellular call on your iPhone."
"You can accept a call via the lock screen or put a Skype for Business call on hold to take a cellular phone call—it works just like a phone."
Both clients deliver a first-class Skype for Business experience to Mac and iOS users.
And, by the end of year, "a preview of real-time transcription and translation in Skype Meeting Broadcast" will be delivered. "Skype Meeting Broadcast in Office 365 lets you produce, host and broadcast meetings to large online audiences."
Also, "deeply integrated mobile experience, and a preview of translation and transcription capabilities" will roll out in "Skype Meeting Broadcasts" by the end of 2016.
Also, launched today is "Skype Operations Framework" (SOF), that provides a comprehensive guide and toolset for implementing and managing a reliable, cost-effective communications service with operational excellence.
- For online meetings, latest geographic expansion of PSTN Conferencing is announced as well.
- People can join Skype for Business meetings using local numbers from 90 countries and 400 cities across the globe—virtually everywhere. Default city numbers are available to every Office 365 customer, and customers can now acquire dedicated toll numbers or toll-free numbers in hundreds of cities across the globe via the Office 365 admin portal.
- Starting in October, previews of PSTN Calling in France and Spain for testing will be released. PSTN Calling plans are already generally available in the United States, United Kingdom and Puerto Rico.
- By the end of the calendar year, Skype for Business will support regionally hosted meetings. Users within multinational organizations can be provisioned in the datacenter region nearest to their physical location—reducing latency, delivering high quality media and keeping the data in the same region.
- Starting later this year, a new dynamic conference IDs feature will also be standard for all Skype for Business online meetings.
- Dynamic conference IDs provide a unique conference ID for each Skype for Business meeting, offering enhanced security and smoother transitions between back-to-back meetings.
- Skype for Business Cloud PBX is already available worldwide, helping IT administrators realize significant operational efficiencies with a complete solution for user provisioning and call control in Office 365. Office
- 365 customers can use Skype for Business Cloud Connector Edition to connect our Cloud PBX with your existing telephony environments using the telco carrier of your choice.
- Organizational Auto Attendant for call treatment and Call Queues for queueing and routing of inbound calls will be rolling out in October.
- By the end of the year, Skype for Business Advanced Analytics will be in preview. Advanced Analytics is a powerful single pane of glass that enables customers to manage their global communications using a complete set of tools that provide an end-to-end view of the Skype for Business online environment—from users to entire enterprise.
And, "Cloud Migration" release today extends SOF and will play a critical role in helping customers and partners migrate from current on-premises deployments to Skype for Business Online using the SOF lifecycle of Plan, Deliver and Operate.
"Microsoft StaffHub" makes it easy for managers to create teams, manage shift schedules and provide relevant information to their workers. With Microsoft StaffHub, "managers can easily adjust schedules, deskless workers can easily view their shift information and more.fice 365."
For deskless workers, "all their schedule information, important communications, announcements and content are just a few taps away on their mobile devices," microsoft said.
Microsoft StaffHub is now available in public preview for the web, iOS and Android, for Office 365 Enterprise K1, E1, E3 and E5 customers.
Feature Pack 1 for SharePoint Server 2016 unveiled today brings several enhancements driven by recent innovation in Office 365 and feedback from you on UserVoice, including:
- Logging of administrative actions performed in Central Administration and with Windows PowerShell.
- Enhancements to MinRole to support small environments.
- A new OneDrive for Business user experience.
- Custom tiles in the SharePoint app launcher.
- Unified auditing across site collections on-premises and in Office 365.
- Unified taxonomy across on-premises and Office 365.
- OneDrive API 2.0.
For detailed overview of the features, read here.
OneDrive also gets major updates at Ignite 2016 including SharePoint Online sync preview, browser, mobile and IT capabilities and more.
OneDrive and SharePoint work together to make storing and accessing all your files simple and powerful.
New sync capabilities include:
- Ability to sync SharePoint Online document libraries and OneDrive folders shared with you (preview available today).
- An "activity center" has been added to the OneDrive sync client to allow you to view synchronization and file activity at a glance (preview available today).
New browser capabilities include:
- Rich thumbnails and previews for over 20 new file types (rolling out before the end of 2016).
- Ability to access and edit all your files in OneDrive and SharePoint Online from the OneDrive browser client (rolling out before the end of 2016).
- Capability to download multiple files as a .zip file (rolling out before the end of 2016).
New mobile capabilities include:
- Notifications to your iOS or Android device when someone shares a OneDrive file with you (available today).
- Access to SharePoint Online files in the OneDrive app on Android (available today).
- Multi-page scan enhancements in the OneDrive app on Android (available today).
- Ability to see over time how many people have discovered and viewed your files in OneDrive for iOS (available today).
New IT capabilities include:
- Enhancements to integration with Office 2016 (available in First Release).
- Simple, flexible OneDrive user management in Office 365 (available in First Release).
- Dedicated OneDrive administration console in Office 365 (rolling out before the end of 2016).
Overview of all the features above, can be read here.
OneDrive features rolling out now include:
- Shared folders + OD-SharePoint Online sync (preview)
- New sharing UXMobile sharing notifications
- Sharing links for folders
- Download multiple files on browser
- File activity view for iOS
- Access SPO (SharePoint Online) files (Android)
- Access SP 2013/2016 files from iOS
- Copy from OneDrive to SharePoint
- File preview enhancements (Adobe, email, images, video)
- Suppport for iOS 10, Android N
- Bandwidth throttling controls for sync upload
- Block anonymous edit sharing links
- Per User ODB management in O365 user admin console
- AAD conditional access (Windows preview)
- IT-managed Mac sync client deployment (preview)
- Security group sharing controls
- WIP (Windows Information Protection) support for Windows 10
Features rolling out in Q4 2016:
- Shared folders + SharePoint Online sync (GA)
- Access SharePoint Online (SPO) files (Windows)
- New web UX on SharePoint on-prem
- Access SPO files from ODB browser
- File activity view for Android
- External sharing notifications
- Office Instant Previewer
- 'Shared by Me' view
- New UX on iPad and Android
- Re-sharing controls
- Scan for iOS
- Offline files for Windows
- Dedicated ODB admin console
- Policy to block download for non-compliant devices
- Bring your own encryption key support
- AAD conditional access (Windows)
- IT-managed Mac sync client deployment
Features releasing in H1 2017 include:
- @mentions, notifications in Office doc comments
- Microsoft Flow integration
- Access SharePoint on-prem (Android & Windows)
- File activity view for Windows
- Microsoft Graph Discover view in iOS, Windows
- Curate Shared with Me view
- Move files from OneDrive to SharePoint
- Offline folders on mobile
- Removal of # % blocked characters
- RMS sync
- Max path length increase
- AAD conditional Access (Mac)
- External sharing reports
Enhanced conditional access controls, encryption controls and site classification in SharePoint and OneDrive. "Our approach to SharePoint and OneDrive security, privacy and compliance is simple: It's your data. You own it. You control it. We're just caretakers," Microsoft stated.
Here's the list of innovations that give you more control over your company's valuable information and intellectual property:
- Conditional access policies that govern access to files based on endpoint location (available today).
- Granular conditional access policies based on the managed state of a device (available by end of year).
- New Office 365 datacenter locations in Germany and Canada, extending our industry leadership in the number of distinct global regions to meet your compliance needs (available today in Canada and by end of year in Germany).
- Customer-controlled SharePoint and OneDrive encryption keys (available by end of year).
- Site classification that guides users to understand the value and sensitivity of information and can be extended to apply classification-specific security configuration (available by end of year).
- Unified auditing across site collections in Office 365 and on-premises SharePoint Server 2016 with Feature Pack 1 (available in November 2016).
Detailed overview of these innovative experiences and capabilities, available here.
Microsoft explains these innovations are focused on five core pillars including:
- Platform security—Protect information at rest and in transit with layered encryption, Microsoft datacenter procedures and customer controls for access and key management.
- Secure access and sharing—Ensure sensitive data remains secure with managed access and sharing settings.
- Awareness and insights—Track account and file activity with full transparency using reports and alerts.
- Information governance—Govern your data retention, discovery and deletion policies.
- Compliance and trust—Leverage Microsoft's continuous compliance, ongoing certification and transparent operations.
- Security, privacy and compliance are a core pillar of SharePoint's vision for collaboration in Office 365.
Other innovations announced to mobile and intelligent intranet, powered by SharePoint, including:
- Team news for SharePoint Online modern team sites.
- SharePoint mobile apps for Android and Windows 10 Mobile in preview. You can use the SharePoint mobile app to:
- Navigate from Sites to team sites you follow or frequently visit.
- Navigate from Links to important sites configured by your organization.
- Catch up on what's happened with the Activity view, which shows recent file activity in your team site.
- Open your document libraries with the OneDrive app and then edit your files using Office mobile apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
- Learn more about people you work with and discover what they are working on.
- Perform an enterprise-wide search to find sites, files and people throughout your organization.
- Android first: you'll be able to launch a PowerApp from a team site directly in the SharePoint mobile app.
- News roll-up tab within the SharePoint mobile app for iOS.
- Create a modern team site and an associated Office 365 group from the SharePoint home.
- New people experiences within SharePoint Online team sites, document libraries and lists, and OneDrive for Business.
Here is a summary of mobile, intelligent intranet:
Read here detailed overview.
At Ignite, Microsoft Graph expands beyond pure cloud to hybrid environments, also comes added with a collection of new APIs like SharePoint sites and lists. It's also easier now to call from a variety of platforms through a broader set of SDKs.
"Microsoft Graph is a unified API for accessing data and intelligence in the Microsoft cloud. Developers can connect to the context and insights in Microsoft Graph to make their standalone web and device applications smarter and more productive."
Add-ins and web parts—make your solution a native part of the modern Office
Extending Office apps with custom experienc. "We want to make sure that you can build the same rich extensions to Office experiences in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and SharePoint that you could build with technologies like Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO), COM and full-trust code."
Also, making several announcements about the new types of productivity experiences including: "Voice, video, connectors and bots," you can build with Office.
Lastly, Connector support to users' personal inboxes, enabled capabilities is expanded and that make email and messages more actionable and continued to improve our capabilities for embedding voice and video powered by Skype for Business in custom applications.
As announced at Ignite, Exchange 2016 Cumulative Update 3 (CU3) includes support for the REST API integration with Office 365. "This integration enables customers that are in a hybrid deployment with Office 365 to have a seamless authentication and application experience regardless of mailbox location," explains team.
The REST APIs (Mail, Calendar, and Contact APIs), simplify programming against Exchange by providing a familiar syntax that is designed with openness (e.g., open standards support JSON, OAUTH, ODATA) and flexibility (e.g., granular, tightly scoped permission to access user data).
In order to take advantage of the REST APIs in your hybrid deployment, you must implement these prerequisites.
Office 365 people experiences let you tap into the power and value of the people around you to promote intuitive, proactive knowledge sharing based on the intelligence of the Microsoft Graph.
Announced today the following innovative people experiences:
- A new Delve app for Windows 10 desktop and mobile is available today, helps catch you up with what's going on and gain insight into work being done by your colleagues—an activity stream of all important, timely files in one place.
With the new Delve Windows 10 app you can:
- Stay in the know and discover what your colleagues are working on with badges and notifications.
- Find relevant documents and email attachments based on people you know.
- Get back to important documents you're actively working on.
- Locate expertise and learn more about colleagues relevant to you.
- People cards that surface profile information and content throughout Office 365 rolling out now within SharePoint Online team sites, document libraries, lists and OneDrive for Business. You, too, can access the same valuable information and insight through people within the SharePoint and OneDrive mobile apps.
- Updates to the Office 365 profile rolling out to first release today.
- You can start a Skype chat or call or email a colleague right from their profile page.
- The updated profile editing experience makes it easier to keep your information fresh and updated with a few clicks and keystrokes.
- Smart search results in Delve are organized into sections for people, documents and boards—making it easier to find exactly who and what you're looking for.
- This is a more intuitive experience to find people by expertise, title or location.
- As your profile fills up with more important business information, expertise search and discovery becomes more valuable throughout the company.
Microsoft and Workday signed a new global strategic partnership to deliver integration between Workday's finance and HR applications and Office 365, so that changes made in Workday will automatically be reflected in Groups.
The two companies also plan to connect Workday Human Capital Management (HCM) with the Microsoft Graph. And, by using MyAnalytics, Workday users will be able to see how they're spending their work time.
The goal of the partnership as Microsoft CEO define:
"Our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet, and key to this is forging strategic partnerships with companies including Workday… Blending the power of Workday's cloud-based finance and HR applications with the cloud productivity of Office 365 will enable our customers to simplify their businesses processes, enhance collaboration, and infuse more intelligence into their organizations."
The integration of the services will begin in the second quarter of 2017.