As part of Microsoft’s vision for Node.js in the cloud, N|Solid is now available in the Azure Marketplace as on Wednesday. With this launch, N|Solid for organizations running Node.js-based applications in the cloud, adds another option for greater support with maintaining security, reliability and performance of production deployments.
“N|Solid is a 100 percent-compatible Node.js runtime that has been enhanced to enable increased control and visibility into the state of your production deployments, writes the Microsoft + Open Source team.”
Project Olympus, Microsoft’s open hardware development model, has created a global, industry ecosystem for datacenter deployments, said Kushagra Vaid, during a keynote address Wednesday at the Open Compute Project (OCP) U.S. Summit.
“Today, we’re pleased to report that Project Olympus has attracted the latest in Silicon innovation to address the exploding growth of cloud services and computing power needed for advanced and emerging cloud workloads such as big data analytics, machine learning and Artificial Intelligence (AI),” Vaid wrote.
In November, Microsoft introduced Project Olympus, which has allowed the community to contribute to the ecosystem by downloading, modifying and forking the hardware design just like open source software.
Wednesday, Microsoft announced the launch of the preview edition of service tiers, Azure SQL Database Premium RS, a 4TB increase of storage limits for Premium P11 and P15, and along with a new and enhanced portal experience for selecting and managing service tiers and performance levels.
Premium RS, designed for IO-intensive workloads that need Premium performance but do not require highest availability guarantees, said the team. It’s great for non-production databases, such as development using in-memory technologies or pre-production performance testing.
You can now use up to 4TB of included storage with P11 and P15 Premium databases at no additional charge in selected regions until worldwide availability later in CY 2017.
Enhanced pricing tier experience for databases in the portal. The database configuration can now be done in three simple steps:
- Select the service tier which corresponds to your workload needs.
- Select the performance limits (DTU) required by your database.
- Select the maximum storage required to your database. This added option hopes to make it simpler for you to manage the growth of your databases. explained the team.
Azure Service Bus Premium Messaging now generally available in the UK on Wednesday, supports a broader array of mission-critical cloud apps, and provides all the messaging features of Service Bus queues and topics with predictable, repeatable performance and improved availability.
Azure Data Factory, that allows to bring data from a rich variety of locations in diverse formats into Azure for advanced analytics and predictive modeling on top of massive amounts of data. The Feburary list of Azure Data Factory updates brings the following features:
- New Oracle driver bundled with Data Management Gateway with performance enhancements
- Service Principal authentication support for Azure Data Lake Store
- Automatic table schema creation when loading into SQL Data Warehouse
- Zip compression/decompression support
- Support extracting data from arrays in JSON files
- Ability to explicitly specify cloud copy execution location
- Support updating the new Azure Resource Manager Machine Learning web service
In a new video published Wednesday, Microsoft highlighs improved conditional access capabilities in Azure AD, Enterprise Mobility and Security suite.
“The Conditional Access system in Azure Active Directory (AD) Premium and the Enterprise Mobility and Security suite is the engine that makes this vision a reality.”
Check out the video below, that details improvements to the system and how company data can be protected:
Microsoft Cloud Platform release announcements for March include the following updates:
Azure Stack | TP3
First up, Microsoft extends its Azure technologies on-premises with several updates for Azure Stack:
Technical Preview 3 (TP3) available for download now enable: more modern application capabilities; running in locations without connections to Azure; along with infrastructure and security enhancements.
Microsoft releases Team Foundation Server 2017 Update 1, adding delivery plans, a new process template managing experience, npm support in package management, additional repository permission management, pull request improvements, test impact analysis, branch policy improvements, and a personalized home page.
Blob Auditing in Azure SQL Database now generally available, will replace current Table auditing, bringing better performance, higher granularity, and lower storage costs to Azure SQL auditing. Combining Blob auditing with Threat Detection (public preview), provides a new security layer to enable customers to detect, investigate and respond to potential threats as they occur.
Azure DocumentDB now supports aggregates at global scale in public preview. The DocumentDB query engine has built-in support for SQL aggregate operators COUNT, MIN, MAX, AVG and SUM.
In addition, DocumentDB Emulator is also now available in a Docker container, and you can now add Azure Search to DocumentDB collections with a click of a button in the Azure portal.
Power BI embedded service reaches general availability. This new web based HTML5 embedded editing experience lets ISVs address one of their top demanded features, quickly and easily using Power BI Embedded industry leading cloud services. The new features include:
- New Self-service capabilities added to Power BI Embedded business analytics platform enable application users to perform richer, in-context, self-service analytics, create, edit and personalize reports in their applications; they expand developers’ ability to manage application users’ rights for creating, editing and saving reports in the application; they provide report authors with the ability to edit out-of-the-box reports without leaving the application environment through an on-line experience
- New Data connectivity features allow developers to use the Power BI Embedded REST API to create new datasets and use them in their Power BI Embedded reports. Additionally, developers can now use the push data API in Power BI Embedded to keep the data in these data sets up to date, enabling real-time reporting within Power BI Embedded.
- Finally, new Tenant deployment features available in the Azure environment enable developers to add/delete workspaces, clone and bind reports to a dataset, and delete a workspace along with all its content through the Power BI Embedded REST APIs.
Publish to Web will now be available in Power BI Pro for US Government users to easily embed interactive Power BI visualizations online, such as in blog posts, websites, through emails or social media, on any device.
Azure Data Lake Store connectivity via external tables, support for loading UTF16 encoded delimited text files, and increased row width limit for PolyBase from 32kb to 1 MB per row into Azure SQL Data Warehouse is now available.
With the addition of Azure Data Lake store connectivity, “SQL Data Warehouse can now connect to all Azure data storage services.”
Those who will join IT Pro Cloud Essentials program, Microsoft is now offering special trial offer that include: “$25 credit for 12 months ($300 value).”