Working on Apple fans complained that the Gmail iOS app didn't integrate with the iOS 5 notification center. The Gmail app in its present form didn't support banner notifications and the messages weren't included in the notification center or in the lock screen.
Google today released an update to its Gmail app for iOS devices that fixes the issues, list of updates include: full notification center support, the ability to send messages from alternate email addresses and an improved login experience.
First up, Gmail is now fully integrated with Notification Center and supports banners, alerts and lock screen options. "Plus, notifications are now incredibly fast - up to 5x faster than in the previous version," informs Google.
Another improvement to iOS app for Gmail version 1.2.7812, bring to you an option to send mail from alternate email addresses, same as you do with the desktop version of Gmail. If you have configured alternate sender addresses in Gmail on your desktop under Settings->Accounts->Send mail as you will see a From: option when composing new messages in the app.
This features is also available in the mobile Gmail site.
The last improvement, comes to the login process to allow you to stay logged into the app for as long as you'd like. "You can still choose to sign out of your account, but you won't be automatically logged out after a certain period of time has elapsed."
Finally, the Gmail team says they working to bring more features in future releases, including support for multiple accounts.
With the Gmail app, you can:
- Receive notifications for new messages
- Read your mail with threaded conversations
- Organize your mail by archiving, labeling, starring, deleting, and reporting spam
- Keep track of important messages with priority inbox
- Auto-complete contact names as you type
- Send and receive attachments
- Search through all your mail
What's New in Version 1.2.7812
- Notification Center support. Banners, alerts and lock screen notification options
- "Send-as". Alternate sender support, if configured within Gmail
- Persistent login. Sessions no longer expire.
You can download the improved Gmail app for iOS from the iTunes App Store.