NVIDIA's GeForce 8800 GT might be one of the best performance-per-dollar cards since the Radeon 9800, but things are moving fast at NVIDIA and there's a lot more on the way from the company between now and next Summer.
Over the last quarter, the company moved away from the old "Gx" designation for its core names, instead opting to switch to a more descriptive system. NVIDIA's new codenames follow:
- D8M: Eighth generation mainstream, previously named G98
- D8P: Eighth generation performance, previously named G92
- D9M: Ninth generation mainstream
- D9P: Ninth generation performance
- D9E: Ninth generation enthusiast
GeForce 8800 GT, codenamed G92 and D8P, stole the majority of the headlines last week. GeForce 8800 GT, the 112 stream processor sub-titan, became NVIDIA's first 65nm processor design. However, NVIDIA's dark horse was really the revision on GeForce 8800 GTS SSC.