Microsoft revealed "Xbox One", an all-in-one entertainment system, designed to deliver a whole new generation of blockbuster games, television and entertainment in a powerful, all-in-one device.
Alongside, some interesting statistics about the video gaming industry revealed during, a weekly podcast. Aaron Greenberg, chief of staff, Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, said that "the worldwide gaming spending is around $65 billion dollars! On top of that, there are over 1 billion video gamers worldwide."
""Xbox One," pushes the boundaries of realism, and TV obeys your commands. Say "Xbox On" to launch your personalized Xbox One Home screen, discover what is popular on TV or see friends' latest gaming achievements all using the most natural interface -- your voice. The more you interact with Xbox One, the more it gets to know you and learns what you like," explains Microsoft.
The new Xbox One hardware is sleek at 16:9 aspect ratio and employs a horizontal orientation optimized for its high-speed Blu-ray disc player. It is molded in a deep and rich liquid black color and includes a distinctive beveled edge.
It is packed with eight-core, x86 processor and more than 5 billion transistors, that helps it make lag and load times a thing of the past.
Alongside, Microsoft also redesigned 1080p Kinect, which is more precise, more responsive and more intuitive. And, it works in nearly any lighting condition, recognizes precise motion control from a slight wrist rotation, and distinguishes your voice even in a noisy room using advanced noise isolation.
The new Xbox One Wireless Controller is refreshed with more than 40 technical and design innovations.
It comes with updated directional pad, thumb stick and ergonomic fit, and precision and control have been dramatically increased with all new vibrating impulse triggers.
Features of Xbox One include:
- TV on Xbox One lets you navigate and watch live TV from your cable, telco or satellite set-top box through your Xbox One. Microsoft says it will be bringing live TV through various solutions to all the markets where Xbox One will be available.
- Home. Turn on your entertainment system with two powerful words, "Xbox On," and a custom-tailored Home dashboard welcomes you with your favorite games, TV and entertainment.
- Snap to jump into a multiplayer battle while watching your favorite movie, talk with friends on Skype while watching live TV, or track your fantasy team on TV as you watch the big game and more.
- Skype for Xbox One lets you talk with friends on your TV in stunning HD, or for the first time ever, hold group Skype calls on your TV.
- Trending lets you stay on top of what is hot on TV by discovering the entertainment that is popular among your friends, and see what is trending within the Xbox community.
- OneGuide helps you find your favorite entertainment easily, searching by network, name or time, all with the sound of your voice and presented in a tailored program guide.
Also, unveiled today is a list of games available on Xbox One: "Forza Motorsport 5; Call of Duty: Ghosts; FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, NBA LIVE 14, EA SPORTS UFC; Quantum Break."
Microsoft also unveiled exclusive content partnerships with some of the top names in TV, sports and entertainment including: "Halo television series; and National Football League (NFL)."
The NFL on Xbox will redefine broadcast experiences through innovations around Skype, Xbox SmartGlass and player-worn technology; add an all-new fantasy football solution for the biggest screen in the house; and create a personalized NFL destination only available on Xbox One.
Microsoft also revealed that Xbox One is built to amplify an all-new generation of Xbox Live, that unleashes the unlimited power of the cloud --allows you "to save and store your personalized profile, games and entertainment in the cloud to access them anytime, from any Xbox One console."
The new Xbox LIVE makes everything more convenient and accessible, from allowing games to be installed in segments so that gameplay can start quickly to updates downloading in the background.
In addition, existing Xbox Live Gold Membership for Xbox 360 will seamlessly carry over to Xbox One. New features of Xbox Live include:
- Smart Match is a new matchmaking system virtually eliminates waiting in lobbies by estimating wait times and finding people you want to play with while you are enjoying other activities -- reputation fundamentally matters and helps find best matches.
- Game DVR captures and accesses your magic moments, all saved to the cloud. Along with sharing tools, you will have the most amazing bragging rights with Xbox Live.
- Living Games Dynamic, living worlds evolve and improve the more you play, and advanced artificial intelligence can learn to play like you, so friends can play against your shadow.
- Expanded achievements system captures video of your epic moments, continues to grow a game's achievements over time and rewards you in new ways, and your Gamerscore carries over from Xbox 360.
- Xbox SmartGlass is natively part of the Xbox One platform, built in from the beginning with the ability to quickly render content directly onto your device, and now more devices can connect at one time for multiplayer and shared entertainment.
Xbox One will launch in markets around the world later this year. Visit this page for Q&A on Xbox One.
Update 05/22: As Marc Whitten explained, "when we first launched Xbox Live more than a decade ago, it was powered by 500 servers. Today, 15,000 servers housed in data centers power the service and later this year, when we begin selling Xbox One, we'll have 300,000 servers delivering the service. That's how you deliver a highly scalable, highly available service to tens of millions of simultaneous users, and provide the kind of split second switching between games, television and entertainment apps."
Here are some videos of about Xbox One and new Xbox LIVE:
Also, a Microsoft representative has said that "Kinect for Xbox One" can be turned off. " The Xbox One system can be turned completely off, meaning it won't react to voice commands in it's complete off state," the exec said. Of course, the average user will not use this power state, as having the voice commands would be useful and convenient.
Kinect will also power itself off automatically when it isn't needed, for example when playing a game that doesn't need the Kinect accessory. At diTii, we assume this means "powering off the camera while keeping voice commands open."
Update 05/30: New Xbox One, Kinect and Wireless Controller pictures added:
Update 06/06: More details about Xbox One Controller added below: