At Game Developers Conference in San Francisco on Wednesday, Microsoft announced a new Xbox Live Creators Program, for Insider Preview, enabling developer to publish Xbox Live-enabled games on Windows 10 PCs along with Xbox One consoles.
With the Creators Program, developers can access Xbox Live sign-in, presence and select social features to integrate with their UWP games for Xbox One, Windows 10 PC, or simultaneously on both platforms.
And because Xbox One offers players a curated store experience, “games from the Creators Program will appear in a new, distinct Creators game section in the Store,” writes the Xbox team.
Second, Xbox Live Creators SDK making it easier to inegrate with Xbox Live, with following capabilities:
- Xbox Live sign-in and profile, including gamertag.
- Xbox Live presence, recently played and activity feed.
- Xbox Live social, including friends, Game Hubs, clubs, party chat, gameDVR and Beam broadcast.
- Xbox Live leaderboards and feature stats.
- Title Storage and Connected Storage.
While the Xbox Live Creators Program is in limited release to insiders, “you can integrate and configure services using SDK and the Dev Center. However, you will not be able to publish to the Store,” writes the team. Microsoft says, publishing to the Store will be enabled in the near future.
To get started with these new Xbox Live capabilities, should enroll into the ID@Xbox program.
For getting access to Creator’s Program configuration pages at Dev Center, join the Developer Preview here.
As Microsoft is building Windows 10 to be the most complete platform across the broadest range of mixed reality devices and experiences, the company announced that Windows Mixed Reality Dev Kits shipping this month.
The kits will include “Acer headset, along with documentation and access to Windows 10 Insider preview builds and software development kit (SDK) to enable developers to build mixed reality applications,” Kipman says.
Microsoft said that a wide range of “plug and play” headsets that pair with Windows Mixed Reality-ready PC, without requiring a complicated setup, will be coming from Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP, Lenovo and 3Glasses. “These are the first mixed reality headsets to deliver built-in inside-out tracking, meaning there is no need to purchase or install external trackers or sensors in the wall,” he said.
Microsoft is also giving game developers a “golden ticket” at the Windows Mixed Reality session at GDC, who will receive ‘Acer developer edition” headset in the coming months.
Here are the specifications of Acer Windows Mixed Reality Development Edition headset:
- Two high-resolution liquid crystal displays at 1440 x 1440
- Display refresh rate up to 90 Hz (native)
- Built-in audio out and microphone support through 3.5mm jack
- Single cable with HDMI 2.0 (display) and USB 3.0 (data) for connectivity
Kipman also revealed that the platform currently delivers more than 20,000 Universal Windows applications, including mixed reality apps and games as well as the ability to stream Xbox games to your Windows 10 PC.
Here’s a screenshot of Acer Windows Mixed Reality Development Edition headset, and a video below, giving a glimpse of what is possible with Windows Mixed Reality:
Xbox Game Pass, a new gaming subscription service that gives unlimited access to more than 100 Xbox One and Xbox 360 backward compatible games on Xbox One – “all for $9.99 USD per month” was announced on Tuesday.
Among others, with Xbox Game Pass, gamers can discover and download titles directly on Xbox One. In addition, all Xbox One games in the catalog – and related add-ons – will be available to purchase at an exclusive discount for Xbox Game Pass members, Phil Spencer says.
The program is currently under testing with select members of Xbox Insider Program and “with a very limited number of titles.” It’ll roll out to the broader community later this spring.
Those in the Alpha ring of Xbox Insider Program, may see the program listed on their dashboard labeled as “Xbox Game Pass Alpha Preview (Test Catalog),” says Spencer.
Microsoft also shared preliminary details of the Beam Interactivity 2.0 SDK coming in March, will make developing interactive streaming features much easier and enable a wide range of new design scenarios.
Next up Windows Game Mode aims to optimize Windows 10 PC for an improvement in overall game performance, with increased framerates and increased consistency with some games. Also a new gaming section identified with an Xbox logo in Windows System Settings, consolidates settings for Game Mode, Game bar, GameDVR and broadcasting.
Xbox Play Anywhere already supports 10 titles, another 16 coming soon including new ID@Xbox titles being announced or demoed at GDC this week such as Full Metal Furies, Ooblets, Snake Pass, and RUINER, with more are on the way.
Additionally, Xbox is a Gold-level sponsor of the IGDA Game Accessibility Conference as well as the sole sponsor for the new IGDA Foundation’s Next Gen Leader program focused on retaining diverse talent in the industry.
Microsoft on Wednesday released a new Xbox One Insider Preview build to Alpha ring with string 15046.1001 (rs2_release_xbox_1703.170226-1700), lists miscellaneous fixes and improvements:
“Portal” accessories used with games like Skylanders, LEGO Dimensions, and Disney Infinity are not recognized.
The Xbox Accessories app Device Details page may appear blank.
- Workaround: Update the device firmware, and view Device Details on a console not enrolled in Preview.
Copilot does not function at this time. You can disable Copilot from the power menu (hold the Xbox button on the controller) if desired.
If Cortana was enabled prior to entering connected standby, you may encounter an error when resuming from connected standby.
Cortana may take a long time to respond when activated while playing certain games.
Scheduled Cortana reminders will not provide a notification if the user who created the reminder is signed in, but not the current active user.
Using voice dictation sometimes causes the virtual keyboard to become unresponsive.
Some users may not receive certain types of notifications.
- After capturing a game clip, the game clip fails to automatically post to the Activity Feed (if your profile is configured to do so).
Workaround: Manually view game clips in Profile > Captures > Manage captures and post to the Activity Feed.
- The EA Access app may indicate you are not an EA Access subscriber when you are. This does not affect your ability to download or play games from the Vault, or receive discounts on EA titles.
- The screen may dim after a short amount of time while viewing videos in certain apps (Hulu Plus).
Settings – Ease of Access
- When enabling the Mono output setting in Ease of Access – Audio, Settings becomes unresponsive, crashes, and fails to launch on subsequent attempts.
- Workaround: To launch Settings, perform a hard reset (hold down the button on the front of the console for five seconds until it fully powers down, then power it back on).
Settings – Display & sound
- The Audio output page is under construction and some of the new settings are not yet functional. New support is planned for Dolby Atmos for home theater, Dolby Atmos for headphones, and more in upcoming builds. An announcement will be made when these new features are ready to try out; enabling these settings now will have no effect.
- The Wireless Display app fails to launch and immediately crashes to Home.