Five months after Android N Developer Preview, Google has begun rolling out Android 7.0 Nougat to supported Nexus devices.
Android 7.0 is here with plenty of Nougat goodness including strengthened security features, improved management capabilities and increased user control that can boost productivity for your employees.
With that said, Nougat brings new features like File-based encryption, seamless updates, and Direct Boot.
Plus, there are over 250 major features in Android Nougat, including VR Mode in Android, stated google.
Apart from new features, the company is moving Nougat into a "new regular maintenance schedule over the coming quarters," said Dave Burke, VP of Engineering. He added that Google has "already started work on the first Nougat maintenance release, that will bring continued refinements and polish" to the OS.
These 'maintenance updates' will apparently be separate from the monthly security patches that Google already offers. The company aiming to offer first developer preview "this fall", as the soon they'll close open bugs logged against Developer Preview builds.
At the same time, the company also pushed the Android 7.0 source code to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP), therreby extending public availability of this new version of Android to the broader ecosystem.
Here are some new features in N:
- 1,500 different emoji built into Android, including 72 new ones.
- Quick Settings now lets you control what tiles go where, and move 'em around to fit your needs.
- Apps can tailor their content based on your locale settings. So if you speak multiple languages, for instance, then search engines can show results in each of those languages.
- new JIT/AOT compiler improve software performance, make app installs faster, and take up less storage.
- Android Nougat is designed with immersive experiences in mind—including support for:
- Vulkan: Games will now leap to life thanks to high-speed, next-generation graphics — all powered by your device's multi-core processor.
- Daydream: Android Nougat is ready to transport you to virtual worlds with Daydream-ready phones, headsets and controllers — all coming later this year.
- Android Nougat helps you multitask with ease with new features like:
- Multi-window: Run two apps side-by-side. The windows are resizable, too, by simply dragging the divider.
- Direct Reply: Reply directly to notifications without having to open any app.
- Quick Switch: Switch between your two most recently used apps by simply
- With N security features can now be applied to work apps instead of the device itself. This while making a device safe, also saves on time and hassle of continuously entering lengthy, complex passcodes to access devices.
- With Android Nougat, if your company uses VPN, your work network traffic data is better protected from the time a device boots up, thanks to the
- Collaborating with team members is easier too—now searching for work contacts can be done in both the personal dialer and messenger app.
Plus employees have access to corporate directory contacts for incoming calls.
- Introduced in Android Marshmallow, Doze battery optimizations now run longer on a single charge. Your device can now drop into lower power usage when it's getting jostled around in your pocket or bag while on the move.
- In addition, Data Saver function lets employees monitor and limit data use in apps to minimize mobile broadband charges.
- new "work mode" setting with a work profile, turned off allows the phone or tablet to be used for personal apps without work interruptions during down time.
- N also simplifying device management for the workplace:
- IT Admins can suspend access to apps that aren't compliant with work policies
- QR code provisioning helps deploy managed devices faster and easier
- Device policy and support messages in settings can be customized so employees better understand them
- new always on VPN feature saves data traveling from a work phone or tablet over unsecured connections. To make this extra security feature, your VPN client should supports it, explains google.
In addition also added new features like:
- Seamless updates lets you install software updates in the background which means you won't have to wait while your device installs the update and optimizes all your apps for the new version. And for current Nexus users, software updates now install much faster, so you won't have to wait for minutes while your device reboots.
- File-based encryption: Android Nougat can better isolate and protect files for individual users on your device.
- Direct Boot: Direct Boot helps your device startup faster, and apps run securely even before you unlock your device when your device reboots.
The devices that will get an over-the-air software update to Nougat over next several weeks, include: Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, Pixel C, and General Mobile 4G (Android One) .
In addition, devices enrolled in the Android Beta Program will also receive this final version.
While N rolling out has begun, the images aren't yet available on Google's list of Nexus Factory Images. Once out, you can use them to flash Android Nougat on your device.
Google has confirmed that the upcoming LG V20, will be the first new smartphone that ships with Android Nougat, right out of the box.
With all of these new devices beginning to run Nougat,
Google recommend developers to compiling their app against and ideally targeting "API 24" to publish app updates to Google Play.
And, those, who are testing some last minute changes, should do this using Google Play's beta testing feature for an early users feedback, the company stated.
To learn more about these and many other strengthened security features available in Android Nougat, check out this page.