With both the NCAA Men's and Women's basketball tournaments Final Four being played out on the hardwood in the United States this weekend, Google shared what American sports fans are searching for around the web:
- In the men's bracket this year, there's not just one, but two "Cinderellas," in the form of the VCU Rams and the return of the Butler University Bulldogs. These underdogs have captured the attention of the nation's sports fans; searches for [vcu] have climbed lately and currently outpace searches for each of the other three teams in Men's Final Four.
- Women would take the court in Indianapolis, Indiana, for their Final Four this weekend. In search query volume, [uconn] is a runaway favorite and leads against the other three teams in the bracket.
- In the women's tournament, Coach Summitt is winning the search query volume contest off the floor.
- On the men's side, it's the young head coach at VCU, [shaka smart], and Butler's [brad stevens] who currently take the top spots in search query volume.
- Each year, new stars emerge as the tournaments unfold. In 2010, Duke's [kyle singler] captured the Final Four MVP, and in 2006 Florida's [joakim noah] captured the nation's attention.
This year, Butler's [matt howard] has risen to take the top spot as the most searched player of the tournament.
- Finally, in the state of Indiana--the home of Hoosiers and some of the most vocal hoops fans, home-state [butler bulldogs] have pulled ahead of pop music star [katy perry] in search query volume.