While Silverlight 4 supports accessing COM automation components from elevated trust OOB applications, many Windows platform features are currently not available through COM automation. This makes them inaccessible to such Silverlight OOB apps. "Native Extensions for Microsoft Silverlight" is an effort to incrementally build a library of components that expose select Windows 7 features through COM automation, making them easily available to Silverlight 4 OOB apps running with elevated trust. The current version of NESL provides access to Win7 features like Sensors, Portable Devices, Speech, Taskbar and more.
NESL is made up of a set of COM automation based runtime libraries, Silverlight wrapper libraries usable from Silverlight 4 OOB apps, sample apps with source, API documentation, and a developer's guide.
- Take advantage of sensors like accelerometers, light sensors, compasses, GPS etc.
- Access content from connected portable devices like music players and digital cameras.
- Capture and create video from webcams and screen output
- Use speech recognition and text to speech capabilities.
- Integrate with the Win7 taskbar (Jump Lists, Icon Overlays, Taskbar Progress etc.)
More Info: NESL