During the opening of Motorola's "On Display" event, at Gotham Hall, inNew York city, Google's Eric Schmidt about the Android's ecosystem stated that there are now 1.3M Android devices activated each and every day.
Schmidt added that there are close to 500 million Android devices worldwide right now. Out of the 1.3M Android activations, 70k are just tablets, something that Schmidt acknowledged Google was late to embrace.
"Last December there were 700k devices activated each day. Then, earlier this summer, that number was at 900k. One month later in late July it hit 1M."
He later added why Google needed Moto Mobility, "We have to play in this ecosystem. We have to be competitive and state of the art."
In other Android news, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Wednesday granted a patent number 8,261,090 to Google called "Login to a computing device based on facial recognition," and that allows a "computing device" to use its camera to determine the identity of one or more users based on facial recognition and then grant users access to certain personal information or assigned resources.
This face unlock feature is already present in Android 4.0+ devices, such as the Samsung Galaxy S2, Galaxy S III and Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
The patent reads:
"A method of logging a first user in to a computing device includes receiving an image of the first user via a camera operably coupled with the computing device and determining an identity of the first user based on the received image. If the determined identity matches a predetermined identity, then, based at least on the identity of the first user matching the predetermined identity, the first user is logged in to the computing device."
Motorola at the event, announced the Droid Razr HD, RAZR M, and RAZR MAXX HD Android powered smartphones.
Driod Razr HD, Razr M and Razr MAXX HD comes encased in DuPont KEVLAR fiber, sports a 4.7-inch Super AMOLED HD Corning Gorilla Glass display, a 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon processor -- Minus Anroid 4.1 Jelly Bean as the phones runs Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) out-of-the-box.
These new smartphones comes built with the best of Google inside:
- Chrome for Android, giving you a personalized Web experience anywhere you go
- Google Play, offering access to 600,000+ apps and games, millions of books and songs thousands of movies and TV shows
- Google Maps for Android for voice-guided, turn-by-turn directions
- Voice Actions for Android, letting you control your phone with your voice
- Google+, which can automatically upload your photos to a private album online
- YouTube for watching exclusive videos and live events in HD quality
- Android 4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich, and Android 4.1, Jelly Bean, upgradeable
Below you will Droid Razor HD, and Razo MAXX HD demo: