BBDO Worldwide and Microsoft Advertising with Ipsos, a global research company, today unveiled findings from a global study presented at the 58th Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in Cannes, France.
The goal of the study is to help marketers find "the next billion consumers" by exploring consumers' emotional connections with television, PCs, and mobile devices.
Among the study's key findings were these:
- TV is like an old, reliable and entertaining friend … an everyman that sits comfortably and passively in your home. However, there're differences around the world, and among age groups, especially in Russia and China where TV grew up as something viewers were wary of, given that it was state-owned.
- PC is like an older sibling … someone to learn from, show off to, and compete with. It's far more trusted than TV, especially in Eastern countries and among younger consumers because they can control/choose the content on their PCs.
- Mobile device is like a "new lover" … the most personal device and something users feel close to. They want it with them at all times. It's a relationship that's just beginning and, as such, cuts across all age groups and geographies because of its "newness." Tablets are actually something of a mix of the other screens.
Based on findings from this study, BBDO and Microsoft recommend that the following:
- For mobile messages to be effective, they must recognize the personal nature of this medium. What works on television or other screens willn't necessarily work on mobile devices. Messages must be highly relevant, meaningful and useful. They also have to be intimate, surprising, and unobtrusive, and help the user fit in and belong. For advertisers, the format of the advertising for tablets needs to reflect which "hat" the tablet is wearing.
- Advertising on a PC can be especially appropriate to reach younger consumers. However, it needs to be something they can learn from, share and show off. It should teach, challenge, and appeal to the users' competitiveness (e.g., include a gaming component).
- There has never been a better time for television advertising to seize the moment. Whether viewing on a TV screen, PC (in the role of a TV set) or Xbox, audiences are receptive, waiting to be entertained and humored. TV is a rich, powerful medium and advertisers should continue to be making great ads for it.
[Source: Microsoft Press]