Millennial Media's August Mobile Mix Report, report now includes data from smartphones, and conncected devices including: tablets, e-readers and gaming devices. The August 2011 report revealed that Android had a 54 percent and iOS had a 28 percent maket share. Rim followed with 13% share.
Connected Devices accounted 34% of the Wi-Fi impressions on the network. In August 2010, feature phones accounted for 33% of Millennial's network impressions, and this number has dropped to 14% in August 2011.
Smartphones grew 6% month-over-month and took 72% of the impressions in August. Connected Devices and Feature Phones were tied with 14% of the impression share. In terms of impressions by type of connection, 32% of impressions came over Wi-Fi. Of these WI-Fi impressions 59% came from Smartphones (as opposed to connected devices or feature phones), and saw an 11% growth month-over-month.
Millennial also breaks down ad spend from applications on the network, and in August Android grew 2% month-over-month and represented 49% of the Application Platform Mix. iOS followed with 41% share, with RIM taking a 8% share.
Apple continued to be the leading device manufacturer in August, representing 23% of the Top 15 Manufacturers impression share. Apple iPhone maintained the number one position on the Top 20 Mobile Phones ranking with 13% of the impression share.
Apple was the top vendor with a 23.19 percent share, followed by HTC (16.33 percent), Samsung which dropped to number three with a 14.55 percent share, Motorola (11.37 percent) and Canada-based BlackBerry maker Research In Motion which slid into the fifth spot with a 11.06 percent share.
Millennial said in August 2011, "Nearly one-third of devices on all carriers used wireless hotspots. Verizon Wireless and Sprint had 18 and 14 percent carrier mix, respectively, followed by T-Mobile USA and AT&T with eight percent each. Games, music and entertainment remain the most popular app categories. iOS represented 41 percent of the app platform mix and Android 49 percent."
News apps on the Android platform "grew 26% month-over-month. Gaming applications have been the number one Application Category on Millennial's network for over a year and in August, games represented 25% of the applications impressions, a 19% increase month-over-month," reports Millennial Media.
Here are a few additional highlights in the July report:
- When breaking down ad spend from applications on our network, 48% came from Android apps, while 43% came from iOS apps.
- Motorola was the 5th leading manufacturer, and had 3 phones in the list of the top 20 mobile phones.
- Windows Phone 7 impressions grew 71% month-over-month.
- 33% of the impressions on our network came from consumers on a Wi-Fi network (regardless of carrier). Of those Wi-Fi impressions, 53% were from Smartphones, and 42% were from connected devices.
- Since March 2009, Apple, HTC and HUAWEI all more than doubled their share of impressions.
- Gaming apps made up 29% of app impressions on our network, and increased 35% month-over-month.
- Health and Fitness app impressions grew 13% month-over-month (calorie counting and recipe apps made up two thirds of this category).