Microsoft has released to web the Web Farm Framework 2.0, "is a free, fully supported, Microsoft product that enables you to easily provision and mange a farm of web servers. It enables you to automate the installation and configuration of platform components across the server farm, and enables you to automatically synchronize and deploy ASP.NET apps across them."
This is the final, production ready version that has several new features and improvements listed below:
- Workflow Builder is used to define and schedule custom tasks that can be run on all servers in the farm. The tasks can be scheduled to run periodically or can be started manually by an adm. An example of such task could be a msdeploy command to partially sync web site content.
- Windows Credential Store support allows to store the administrator credentials used for server provisioning in a secure Windows Credential Store. This enables an added layer of security when dealing with credentials in WFF.
- Third party load balancers support via WFF extensibility. It's possible to configure WFF to integrate with hardware load balancers instead of relying on IIS Application Request Routing module.
- Improved support for advanced MSDeploy operations. Options of MSDeploy can be used with WFF for advanced deployment scenarios.
- Improved support for syncing large amount of files. Several issues related to syncing large amount of files across web farm nodes have been fixed.
More Info: Web Farm Framework V2